On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 09:07:08PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > Ok, maybe this is something we should look into later, since i really often
> > see machine freeing memory for 30 seconds, snapshotting for another 20
> > seconds
> > and then writing for 10 seconds (or at least it feels like that :-).
>
> The freeing of memory for 30 sec. happens if there are lots of slabs before
> the suspend.  The memory shrinker is not good at freeing slab caches, to say
> the least, but this stuff is quite complicated.

I'll probably put some timing around those steps in uswsusp debug mode, so
we can see it.

> > Pavel never has those machines, but i seem to always have, i also always had
> > those that were unusably slow when writing the in-kernel-swsusp image :-)
>
> The current code (as in 2.6.19-rc4) is reasonably fast, although still slower
> than the userland with compression (on my boxes).

And it _is_ machine / setup dependent. The machine i am using right now is
fast (Toughbook CF51), the one i was using before (nx5000) was dead slow.
This was also the machine, where compression did nothing good, although it
should have been almost equal to the toughbook wrt CPU and RAM.
It might also depend on filesystems used or disk layout or whatever, because
Pavel once also had an nx5000 and never saw the slowness that i did (but that
was years ago).
So having some timing in a debug mode might actually help test this out,
because numbers are a better measure than "it feels slow" :-)
--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |              "Any ideas, John?"