Hi!

> > > The freeing of memory for 30 sec. happens if there are lots of slabs
> > > before
> > > the suspend.  The memory shrinker is not good at freeing slab caches, to
> > > say
> > > the least, but this stuff is quite complicated.
> >
> > I'll probably put some timing around those steps in uswsusp debug mode, so
> > we can see it.
>
> Unfortunately the shrinking of memory is done as a part of the atomic
> snapshot, but I have a patch to measure the time it takes which I'm going to
> send to LKML in a while.

Could memory freeing be separated into separate ioctl()? That would
allow us to do interruptible freeing (in small hunks), and allow
timing done from userland...

> > And it _is_ machine / setup dependent. The machine i am using right now is
> > fast (Toughbook CF51), the one i was using before (nx5000) was dead slow.
> > This was also the machine, where compression did nothing good, although it
> > should have been almost equal to the toughbook wrt CPU and RAM.
> > It might also depend on filesystems used or disk layout or whatever, because
> > Pavel once also had an nx5000 and never saw the slowness that i did (but
> > that
> > was years ago).
> > So having some timing in a debug mode might actually help test this out,
> > because numbers are a better measure than "it feels slow" :-)
>
> uswsusp (Can we call it differently please?  Suggestions welcome. ;-))
> actually measures the time of writing to the disk as well as the time of
> reading from it which are printed during the resume,  The only missing thing
> is the option to wait for a key after they have been printed so that the
> user can read them.

Could we just print them at the end of the whole sequence, so that
user sees them at the end?
                                                                Pavel
(cesky, pictures)
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html