As an Environmental Engineer, I can«t turn my head on some of the previously
discussed issues, but I must agree with Keith. As backyarders, maybe
industrial-level safety should merely be reduced to good ventilation and
other low-budget precautions. You usually can«t get explosion-proof devices
without sky-rocketing your costs.

The again, I«m still in the theory process, and haven«t yet performed a
batch of BD (hopefully this -southern- summer or fall at the latest). So
please don«t laugh at my suggestions if the practice has shown they are not
feasible.

Regarding the thermostat, just to mention one thing, I had thought of using
a small diameter copper piping inside the reactor. A small fish-tank pump
(hopefully would resist 55 deg) could push the water into the piping from a
separate water container. A fish-tank thermostat would heat the water to 55
deg in this separate water tank. So 55 deg water would flow through the
piping into the container. Please someone tell me if this idea is too obtuse
(I don«t know if copper piping can be used in the reactor)... but still, the
idea is that this can be built away from the reactor, and in the worse of
cases, small explosion-proof boxes can be built to house these electric
devices. That is, any hermetic container can have a couple of holes made to
let the tubing through, and these holes can be  hermetically sealed later.
The rest is just proper ventilation. I«m just thinking out loud, because I
still lack the experience, but I think there are home-made solutions
regarding explosion safety.

There«s not much I can say on VOC«s and all the rest of the environmental
concerns, but most R&D must leave these issues aside to be able to get
somewhere. It«s like saying developing countries demand to emit an amount of
CO2 to be able to develop.

Christian.