Dear Edward,

I agree that biofuel, in many of its forms, has a place in the global energy
matrix. But I personally see its place as limited by the ability of our
planet to provide feedstock, in a sustainable way, and by the EROEI of the
fuel production processes. Widespread use of croplands, for the principal
purposes of energy production, is untenable and even the widespread use of
harvested byproducts has severe limitations. In my mind, agricultural waste
is better served as fertilizer, which as you well know, is now driven
principally by a rapidly depleting resource, fossil fuels. More significant
than limited feedstock, is the raw energy to produce biofuel. This issue has
been debated here and elsewhere but, no matter how you look at it, given the
fuel production processes as discussed in this forum and as described in the
popular literature, biofuel has at best a small positive EROEI and, even
then, it is only when access to required resources is favorable. These
combined issues severely limit the widespread application of all biofuels.

Don't get me wrong, please. I'm not saying that biofuel doesn't have a
place. Nor am I saying that improved technology and processes will not play
a role in making its place more significant. I'm just saying that the
current state of the art limits it to a few entrepreneurs and independent
souls who have ready access to organic feedstock and cheap energy or
manpower.

To move biofuels forward, the industry must innovate and part of that
process is the sharing of information and technology. Hiding that
information and technology is not doing anyone any good. Opening it up,
encouraging its development, is a better option.

Your argument that NADI's developers have spent a long time working on the
product is, no doubt, a heartfelt one but, in the greater scheme of things,
it does not entitle them to an uncontested control of that technology.
Reverse engineering and extensive patent searches are a way of Western life.
Every major corporation doing any sort of development is repeatedly
evaluating patented technologies, seeking ideas and embellishing them to,
more often than not, make the same basic product under a new patent. Once in
a while, patented information is used as basis of improvement and that, like
it or not, moves technology forward.

So I carry no guilt in wanting to understand what is inside NADI. I want to
know how it works, just like I want to know how other things work, so I can
work with them comfortably, so I can repair or maintain them if need be, and
one of these days, so I can improve upon maybe one of them, to make a better
version, so to speak.

I will definitely do a patent search on NADI and I encourage anyone with an
entrepreneurial spirit or an interest in biofuels to do the same. As to
copying that technology, be prepared for legal actions if you're planning on
commercializing it. Better yet, change the technology to evade infringement
laws, that's the western way, but if you do so, make it better.

Of course, the requirements for making a NADI type product may be
prohibitive and in that case, I encourage you to use the branded product or,
like I'd be inclined to do, another technology altogether.

As to the product itself, NADI seems to provide SVO with a nice combination
of properties. At the right price I might even buy it but, unless competing
products enter the market, it is highly unlikely that will ever happen.

Ted Swarts
Kelowna, British Columbia