Thanks to you both for the tips. I still haven«t tried filtering. Heating
to, say, 60¼C, makes the BD clear... even leaving it in full sunshine has
the same effect, but at 20¼C the BD goes back cloudy. (This is regarding
Todd«s 120¼F -49¼C- suggestion)

I«ll try Paul«s suggestion first, just because it«s simpler. Anyway, I don«t
quite understand how filtering removes cloudiness that comes from liquid
particles (either water or glycerides). My reaction times were, I admit it,
perhaps too short. I mixed four independent 1 liter batches, and they were
each left to react for about 30 to 40 minutes. The reaction "seemed"
complete after 10 minutes or so, and I thought 30-40 min would do.

Washing stage 1 left some emulsion problems, but decanting over night
allowed me to drain the water together with a small emulsified+soap layer in
between. I used a 6lt pyrex with an opening at the bottom, so I always
"drained" the water from below, rather than syphoning the BD form atop.

Todd: how do I calculate the proportion of lye if I were to follow your
suggestion? Will an excess simply wash out in the washing stage? Or might it
react to form the so feared gel?

My third washing left the water almost clear, and instead of an emulsion, I
sort of got the washing bottle full of bubbles... but not soap bubbles. They
were rather BD bubbles (5mm in diameter) in the water, and water bubbles
(same size) in the BD portion, and they all dissappeared quickly after
turning off the aereator.

Thanks... I«ll keep in touch.

Best to you all,

Christian