----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[snip]

>Anyway, I don«t
> quite understand how filtering removes cloudiness that comes from liquid
> particles (either water or glycerides).

Christian, the material that my filtration removes is more of a white soapy
mature than water or glycerides. It looks much the same colour as clean
white tallow but it is more uniform in consistency and does not set at room
temp.

>My reaction times were, I admit it,
> perhaps too short. I mixed four independent 1 liter batches, and they were
> each left to react for about 30 to 40 minutes. The reaction "seemed"
> complete after 10 minutes or so, and I thought 30-40 min would do.

In light of what Todd and others have reported I have extended my mixing
times.
This may improve the clarity of the BD but I think my use of conc aqueous
NaOH is a contributing factor.
Strangely enough results from a test using varying levels of NaOH, with a
fixed level of methanol on the same feedstock, gave clearer  unwashed BD for
higher levels of NaOH than optimum (titration) or low levels. Viscosity and
SG were also lower for high levels of NaOH. These tests bear repeating as
the mixing was of short duration. I suspect that optimum mixing would level
out the differences.

Regards,
Paul Gobert.

---