--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Obviously, this was a really intriguing exposition.  I will look
forward to your
> sharing of further developments, if possible.  A few thoughts:
>
> In the U.S., over the last twenty years or so, we've seen some real
increase in
> discussion of creators' rights, _in a way_, on the copyright side
of things.  At
> first this was really focused on the computer software copyright
issue.
> Recently, that has been extended to the effort to protect music and
video
> creators' rights, since music and video have become de facto
computer files
> (though they are not active programs generally).
>
> I think it would be false and overly simplistic to summarize that
computer
> software creators have fully adequate and excellent copyright
protection, or
> that they are on the other hand as helpless as energy-device
inventors.  The
> answer is probably that copyright protection for the little guy is
not that bad,
> with some effort, but could stand improvement, that it's certainly
true
> sometimes that copyrights to software are violated, but that on the
balance,
> part of the reason we've seen such a massive growth in this
industry has been
> precisely because there is some protection afforded individual
writers of
> software, by our legal system.
>
> No doubt about it, this can be a bit misleading, because there are
probably
> myriad times when giant corporations a la Microsoft treat others'
copyrights
> with the disdain that they would instantly decry were the same done
to their own
> copyrights, and with not only financial clout but some psychology
on their side
> (what creator whose love of their invention kept them going wants
to tear
> himself away and spend years in court), they have doubtless won a
few times
> where they should have lost.

I am in a very similar situation. I studied Copyrights, and decided
the protections were inadequate for my needs, and proprietary info
would be kept that way to avoid the legal entanglements. That part of
my strategy worked. No one is attempting to claim they have a
previous or similar Patent, because they don't know what I have.
Instead, I have been shut out from being able to proceed.

> Likewise, despite the recent publicity brought to the issue of
protection for
> artistic works, even a foolproof crackdown on art-file-piracy would
not
> guarantee artists' rights.  There is every evidence that large
corporations have
> at times, or systematically, benefitted in an imbalanced way from
their
> publication of various artists' work, while not adequately paying
them the
> agreed-upon amount, or that the agreed-upon amounts have been
unduly too low due
> precisely to the fact that the artists on their own could not only
not afford
> production of their work but could not afford legal protection of
>it.

My situation differs here in that I have financing arranged to take
my project to completion. I am being stone-walled through various
bureaucratic methods to prevent me from moving forward. Someone(s?)
has spent a considerable amount to prevent me from progressing. I am
not about to disclose the activities behind hte scenes, but the
Election coming up this Fall will be either a make it or break it
point. It may break sooner, depending on the Convention Endorement
process. I am not an unbiased observer, and am hoping to see mucho
dinero go down a Rat Hole! While I am holding, the Project isn't
costing very much, while the 'undisclosed party' is spending a LOT to
keep a lid on me. It's now become my hobby to keep the pressure up,
and their money flowing. I have a few cracks in their dam that I keep
checking, and making sure they are using plenty of money to keep the
cracks repaired. If they slow down the money flow, I'll be ready to
exploit the weak spot.
 I have manged to get past the frustrated outrage part, and have
mellowed a bit, which is much better suited to my natural temperament.
I spent so much time and effort focused on one Project, that the
world was going around without me. Now I've backed off a bit, and can
look at other items of interest and investigate some of them. I have
several small experimental projects I'm working on, and a couple of
other bigger ones that I am consulting on.

 This
> infuriating problem... the fact that the cost of protection of
great creations
> is regarded as a de facto blackmail item in bending the arms of
creators to do
> business with large protection rackets, I mean companies, is I
think a part of
> things.  Not to say that I think things are this simple, just
making the
> argument.
>
> I see none of this discussion going on with respect to patents,
energy device
> inventions, or other inventions, outside of computers.  In order
for things to
> progress from increased-public-discourse-and-attention to real
legal change, I
> think it would take a long time (decades?) so there is a long way
to go.

> I thought this reading was instructive on following the costs of
patent
> protection.  I am not recommending the company:
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020213/dew024_1.html
>
> It is perhaps arguable that a reason for many inventors to be
involved with
> small companies going public is, primarily, because without this
process they
> wouldn't be able to afford patent protection on top of product
development sales
> and marketing costs.  Pity.  We are very far removed from the days
of Tom
> Edison.

 Which was lucky for Tom! We still wouldn't have use of his lights if
he had had to wait for some bureaucrat to isssue him a permit to use
electricity, and to develop State standards for wiring Codes, (at
Tom's expense)and train and license and Certify electrical
inspectors, and rezone his home/workshop for an industrial use
variant, do an involved Environmental Impact Study as to what effect
the widespread use of electricity may have,....etc. etc. etc.
 Another project I am aware of, has nearly all the permitting that
is/was required, done. He was ready to start construction 2 years
ago, and was talking to Contractors, ready to let Contracts. Then it
was decided he needed a more extensive Environmental Impact Study,
due to a newly enacted regulation. It involved soil borings of the
proposed site. He attempted to comply by hiring a test boring
contractor to take whatever samples were needed. Before this could be
done, however, it was determined that Soil Borings on the site may
have an impact on the Environment, and ground water, and he has to
have a study done to determine the impact of the Soil Borings.
 I drove past the site last week, and it is still basically a leveled
dirt parking lot, the same as it was 2 years ago when he was ready to
build, and removed the trees from the site.
 What would Tom Edison have done? What could Tesla have done, if he
hadn't met resistance that drove him further over the edge? I am
intrigued by his turbine. What more could he have done with some
support? Some day, I am going to have one for personal experimental
purposes, regardless of Patents.

Motie

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.