Hi Motie

>--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > I'm sure you'd think of a better way. Courts, sure, and you're dead
> > right about patents. Patents don't mean much these days, unless
> > you're a big corp, and not even then - the big corps spend a lot of
> > time and money fighting each other over patents,
> >
> > But I reckon you're being a little hard on your human brothers and
> > sisters, I don't think we've fouled a lot of things up, pretty good
> > record really, despite generally challenging circumstances of just
> > about every conceivable type. But, brothers and sisters are one
> > matter, but when it comes to our bosses, our betters and overlords
> > and their various gangs, and all our committees, from village hall
> > Washington, wherever and whenever, yeah, they'd foul it up. Don't
> > give the whole town a bad press just because of a couple of local
> > thugs.
> >
> > Maybe you'd be looking for ways to give it away to ordinary folks,
>so
> > that ordinary folks could keep hold of it. Hey, you might even get
> > rich doing that, who knows? If you managed to do such a thing for
>the
> > world I don't think it'd let you starve.
> >
> > Best
> >
> > Keith
>

> Please forgive my cynicism, but it's also very possible the inventor
>would be worse than broke, and possibly in jail. As soon as this
>wonderful machine made it to market, the Big Energy Corps would have
>their own version, with a slight change made and patented, and would
>have you in Court for Patent infringement until your legal bills are
>so high your grandchildren won't be able to pay them off. The fact
>that you were the original inventor of the concept would be of no
>consequence to them.
>
>Motie

I don't think you're a cynic. I bend it a bit probably, but to me a
cynic believes in human frailty, and generally it's more than just
belief, it's behaviour - manipulating human frailty for your own
gain, battening on it. You're a sceptic, but that's healthy, not
manipulative, and probably essential to survival.

Anyway, whichever, as I said to m65, and keep saying, you have to
distinguish between humans, frail or otherwise, and society's
institutions, which are another matter altogether. But again, I think
you do, and it's the institutions you're talking of here.

There are more ways than these, there's no need to follow the
accepted channelings our betters would have us follow. There's more
to the world than just the US too, and the implications of the
hypothetical wondrous machine would certainly know no borders, no
matter what happened - even were it suppressed.

Did you read this below, what I posted when Kirk first asked? That
was more or less off the top of my head, but I think some
out-of-the-box, unchanneled thinking could find good ways of doing
such a thing, maybe even in the US. "Level" playing fields always
seem to tilt steeply in the same direction (north, if you're a Third
Worlder), but widening the terrain can help a lot, if not using a
different terrain altogether, or a variety of terrains. Choose your
own terrain. Guerrilla action. Have you read Sun Tzu?

>>I am very interested in the last question of the series.
>>What would you do if it was your invention?
>
>Worry myself to death? <g>
>
>Maybe I'd (very cautiously) go into partnership with a country like
>Tuvalu or Swaziland or something, if I could convince myself that I
>might not be doing them tremendous harm, or maybe with the Dalai
>Lama, if he'd have me.
>
>Or maybe I'd use Journey to Forever - since a village blacksmith
>could build it, do just that, in as many remote villages as
>possible, in as many really poor countries as possible, all with
>really lousy rural communications systems, and all without saying a
>word. If it were really as good as you say, they'd quickly spread it
>to other villages before anyone could do too much about it. Keep a
>close watch and at the first sign of enemy action bust the story to
>the world press in a really big way. And publish full designs and
>all relevant information in the public domain all over the Internet,
>with direct mailings to every grass-roots NGO in the world. Hey, I
>like it! You'd have to move fast though, very good coordination. But
>it could be done. Wow, what a scenario!!

Best wishes

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.