Hi all.

I ran some lab tests on my BD (from M. Pelly«s recipe), including IR
spectrometry, Flash point, Pour point, Cloud point, Density, Viscosity,
Residual Carbon and free water & sediment.

My findings showed quite a good BD, except for the water.

ASTM requires 0,05 % vol max of water. I bubble washed my BD, following the
Univ. of Idaho«s method, and it seems that my level of fre water whent up to a
value of roughly 0.2% (4 times more than required by ASTM).

I will further treat the BD with anhydrous CaCl2 (calcium chloride), though the
lab technician also suggested I should use a saturated solution of sodium
chloride (tablesalt... i.e., brine) to wash the BD. He said that this would
reduce the presence of water in the washed BD.

The point is: take care with the bubble washes and water washes in general.
Maybe I was just unlucky, but you should try to check the content of water in
your BD as the presence of it could be harmful to the motor. I«ve heard some
people use pure methanol directly to get a BD pure enough to use without
washing... (I don«t know how good this might be). My BD was very transparent.
Even more crystaline than diesel fuel bought from my near by gas station.

Comments welcome.

Regards,

Christian