> >Flash Point: Above 118¼C (ASTM PS121 specifies higher than
100¼C, so I
> >didn«t go much further)
>
> The new ASTM D-6751 standard specifies 130 deg C, I don't know
why.
> Germany and Czech specify 110, all others 100. Maybe it's all
just
> politics, the rapeseed vs soy game.

Christian and Keith,

As per ASTM D-6751, paragraph X1.21:

"The flash point for biodiesel is used as the mechanism to limit
the level of unreacted alcohol remaining in the finished fuel."

As per ASTM D-6751, paragraph X1.22:

"The flash point specification for biodiesel is also of
importance in connection with legal requirements and safety
precautions involved in fuel handling and storage, and is
normally specified to meet insurance and fire regulations."

Paragraph X1.23 discusses wide variability with the accepted test
method. This resulted in 130*C being chosen to insure that a low
end flash point of 100*C is never compromised. Improvements to
testing are being evaluated, which could result in a revised
standard at some point in the future.

Todd Swearingen