----- Original Message -----
From: "Appal Energy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[snip]
> And yes, the same percs apply for new oil, although perhaps to
> lesser degrees, depending upon the FFA content of the fresh oil.
>
> Todd Swearingen

Todd, what would you suggests as a reasonable cut off point for the home
brewer to decide between one step/base and acid/base?  Someone else has
suggested 7g/L but I would think that is a bit high.

One aspect of the acid/base method does not seem to have been given much
attention.
After the acid stage the reaction mix is still acidic. FFAs have been
reduced but the sulphuric acid is still present. This residual acid will
react with the NaOH added in the base stage and give an incomplete reaction
unless it is accounted for.
So I would suggest a titration before the base stage, taking into account
the dilution effect of the initial dose of alcohol on the oil.
If more than the recommended ammount of conc sulphuric acid has been used
(to push the reaction by binding the water produced) compensating for the
acidity becomes very important.
My first efforts at acid/base produced an incomplete reaction, which led me
to the above.
On  a batch of WVO titrating at 16ml the single stage base method gave a raw
60% volume yield. The BD solidified and had to be liquified before it could
be washed. Acid/base method of the same oil gave a raw volume yield of 105%
when the titration ammount of NaOH was used in the second stage. The BD from
the acid/base method was liquid.

Regards,

Paul Gobert.

---