Used to be that an SUV was completely synonymous with a Chevy
Suburban  (a misnomer back then, but completely appropo today)
and a crew of 8-10 oilfield workers, fire fighters or surveyors
going out to or coming in from the field.

Now an SUV is synonymous with anything from a 1st year college
student needing room for multiple frat boys and kegs to a
Lacrosse Mom (Cricket Moms in other countries).

Here's the really funny part. One can fold up the rear seats of a
VW Golf and achieve more cargo room than most SUVs. Put a diesel
in with the front wheel drive and it can travel 90% of the places
a 2 wheel drive pickup can with double or better the fuel
economy.

Personal opiniion? Keep the "sport" in automotive confined to the
race tracks, take the "S" out of "SUV" and put the vehicle back
into perspective and its intended use.

When Lexus and Mercedes start market UVs you know the auto
industry took a wrong turn. (Odd how you don't see too many a
Lexus out rutting it through the mud on the farm or hauling
firewood to the cabin.)

$25,000 - $45,000 - the cost of 25-50 acres, an old farmhouse and
a mule - is a bit of a sacrificial exchange for quick trips to
the corner mart for disposable diapers.

It's also a primary indicator of how foolish and/or ignorant most
consumers are as to their own economic picture and future
security.

Todd Swearingen