I've been following this for awhile ... and been
thinkin' deeply ... about "what it all comes down to".

Well here goes .....

To Hakan: Trimming email ... I suppose ... in a LOOSE
way .. is sort of (and I say SORT OF) a censorship.
OK?? I sorta agree with THAT.  In a, what I call
"denotatative", (think "dictionary", word for word,
literal) way ....

HOWEVER ... HOWEVER ... the reason that (I'm guessing,
to most of us) we do not "feel" that it's "censoring"
is because in email posting, whenever someone posts a
message (trimmed or not trimmed) .... the reader
developing a attitude about the post is ASSURED that
the original owner of the "trimmed out" post is ALSO
READING THE TRIMMED AWAY VERSION OF HIS POST!!

THEREFORE ... we are ASSURED ... that if the trimmed
out version of a post had lost it "connatative" (what
he was "trying" to say vs. what he "literally" said,
the intent, the feeling) meaning ... we can be DAMN
SURE that he will FIRE BACK (flame).  That feedback
system .. is why end sorta ends up "not being like
censorship".

The only time that it WOULD be censorship ... is if
the moderator (Keith, in this case) allowed only
"some" but not "others" to have their postings seen on
the list.  But as I have seen .. Keith here allows
some pretty "radical" views to be posted (even mine!!
LOL).  Both from "way one side" ... to "way the
other".  Because of this ... I'm "pretty sure" that
this is not happening.  Or at least I hope not.

To Jan: hmmmm ... ok ... I'll let you call it editing.
 BUT WATCH OUT ... and don't let this habit extend to
other things.  Like if you were a magazine ... or
newspaper editor .. or something like that.  Cause
unlike email, paper reading material does not allow a
reader (especially the owner of what you wrote) to
"fire back" immediately.  As paper stuff usually only
gets updated monthly or so. And by that time .... the
"public" has already formed an "image" of what the
person said.  Plus, the ballot voting date may come
before the next month's issue.  Making a word-owner's
rebuttal pointless ... it's too late, the vote count
has already been done.

So from the vote-count's reflecting how the word-owner
feel's point of view ... it kinda would be
"censoring".  The reason being that the way you
"trimmed" (edited) a person's words .... affected
(some political process)(some buying habit)(etc).  And
the word-owner ... being his rebuttal is in "next
month's issue" .... was too late.  And therefore
rendered ineffective.

Curtis

------Hakan Falk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:--------

Trimming email is an arbitrary censorship or can be if
all the parties do not agree on the trimming...

If the original author are not given a chance to agree
with your trimming, it is by definition a censorship

--To which Jan Steinman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replied--

I strongly disagree. I majored in Journalism. It's
called "editing."

=====
Get your free newsletter at
http://www.ezinfocenter.com/3122155/NL