Hoagy,

Thanks, it was very interesting and I missed it. Need to check it, but if
it is right it is quite a big thing. All literature I looked at, set the
Savonius at 14%, but also the American Multiblade at 14%. Will be
interesting to explore. LOL

He is right, it will take decades to correct.

Hakan

At 19:03 08/01/2004, you wrote:
> > you wrote:
> >
> > Hoagy,
> >
> > Looked at,
> >
> > "Wind Energy Systems"
> > <http://www.eece.ksu.edu/~gjohnson/>http://www.eece.ksu.edu/~gjohnson/
> >
> > Liked it as a basic text book, but it seems a bit old on newer development.
> > Well worth to read.
> >
> > Hakan
>

>Thanks Hakan.  The basics are what I need to understand.
>He does talk about the Darrieus VAWT quiet allot it seems.
>
>I was reading Chapter One - Introduction and he went
>through some historical highlights.  One of them was
>about the Savonius Vertical Axis Wind Turbine regarding
>its Cp (power Coefficient) or efficiency.  He writes in
>section 5 Innovative Wind Turbines page 1-17 --
>
>"A chart of efficiency of five different turbine types is
>shown in Fig. 8.  The efficiency or power coefficient varies
>with the ratio of blade tip speed to wind speed, with the
>peak value being the number quoted for a comparison of
>turbines.  This will be discussed in more detail in Chapter 4.
>It may be noticed that the peak efficiencies of the two bladed
>propeller, the Darrieus, and the Savonius are all above 30%,
>while the American Multiblade and the Dutch windmills peak at
>about 15%.  These efficiencies indicate that the American
>Multiblade is not competitive for generating electricity, even
>though it is almost ideally suited and very competitive for
>pumping water.
>
>The efficiency curves for the Savonius and the American
>Multiblade have been known for a long time [6, 10].
>Unfortunately, the labels on the two curves were accidentally
>interchanged in some key publication in recent years, with the
>result that many authors have used an erroneous set of curves
>in their writing.  This historical accident will probably take
>years to correct."
>

>It appears the DVAWT & the SVAWT or some variation
>could provide suitable options for the VW-turbine idea
>at least in terms of efficiency.

To visit your group on the web, go to: