MM,

Most building codes sets minimum life span for buildings to 50 years. This
to establish a minimum quality demand in legal disputes. This is on
construction, not the installations. Normal renewing of buildings in peace
times are between 1 to 2% of the building stock and therefore it takes 50
to 100 years to renew the building stock. It will be a remaining small
portion of older buildings, but they are not effecting the average numbers
(the same happens to cars). Renovations and renewal of installations, have
much shorter cycles and then improvements/changes can be introduced. It
seems however to be a large number of more than 50 year old heating
systems, still in use in US.

Hakan