In addition to what has been said here, I wonder what can be said as
to the amount of energy it takes to make a building (not to mention to
tear down an old building).  We sometimes hear criticisms of various
proposed alternative fuels and power sources because of the amount of
energy it takes to make the fuel or produce the power equipment.
(This is much discussed with Solar PV, for example and with ethanol).
So, what about houses?

We are spending a lot of effort analyzing how we can make our homes
more energy-efficient.  How much energy is expended, typically, in
building a home (fabricating durable building materials and items,
transporting the heavy items to the building site, running the various
necessary machines)? Maybe you'd include food for the workers, I don't
know.

If it's an amount of energy that is substantial enough to equal the
amount of energy the home-users might use in 1, 2, 3, 5, 10 years,
then this would be interesting.

I mean, with solar PV, we hear that the amount of energy it takes to
fabricate the panels can be equal to what they will harvest in 1, 2, 3
years.  And so we may say that the panels, over their 20-30-year
useful lifetime (or however much time) will harvest 7 x more energy
than it takes to make them (just to use a number I once heard about
one manufacturer's panels).

Ok, so what about a house.  And if the amount of energy it takes to
fabricate is a bit respectable, then mightn't energy be saved by
making the expectation that the house (with reasonable upkeep) can
last 200 or 300 years rather than 50-100?

Other questions of course that sort of add to the point: We can also
ask of course if some of the materials can be recycled, then this
could lower the house's number at the back end.  If wood can be burned
or processed when the house is torn down, then this could be useable
energy.  Another reasonable part of these calculations I think would
be if some of the home is built to harvest energy rather than just use
it.  This is not only what heat it might retain at night, but also if
solar panels are installed in some way, micro-hydro, what sort of
power requirements are necessitated by the pottable water choices made
by the builder, maybe even if some bio-matter processing is somehow
built into the design so it's easier for the homeowners to get into
biomass use?  Last but not least there is distance-to-travel
destinations because an occupant's energy use over the lifetime of
occupancy is so affected by how much transport fuel she or he may need
every day.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511