>The reason for this is quite simple. Though our country's fleet of
>autos and light trucks could turn over within about 12 years and be
>replaced by more efficiently run vehicles, buildings have a lifespan
>(and energy consumption and emissions pattern) of 50 to 100 years.

Something else I want to mention about this article:

If you put $50,000 or $100,000 or $200,000 or more into building a
home, it should be built to last more than 50 or 100 years, in my
view.  Some here may be able to amend or differ with my view and
educate me.  And there's probably a school of thought in sustainable
building that it's not necessary to build-to-last.

But building a home (or paying someone to do it and buying it from
them) is the most trouble many of us go to, to buy a "thing" in our
lives, and there are different schools of thought, it would seem, on
how much quality a homebuyer "rates".  I've heard that wood quality
may possibly have declined in some respects, overall.   Now, there may
be a period of transition as home builders learn or re-think new
methods (such as steel), for various reasons.  As buyers become more
educated, I think if they insist that they rate building quality that
will last, they can communicate this in their buying decisions?

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511