>Mish, (or Keith?)

It's clear which is which, unless your emailer doesn't do >'s, in
which case I suggest you get another emailer.

>True perhaps, as far as sustainability and efficiency
>are concerned, small farms are the best solution.
>However, we have overpopulated this planet to such a
>degree that there would never be enough land to
>support our populations with only small, efficient
>farms.

Not true. The overpopulation problem is more realistically a
marginalisation problem. There's plenty of room and resources for
everyone and everything else too, except the greedy. Check it out -
eco-footprinting's a not-bad place to start, it's developed a lot in
recent years. Look at which societies exceed their due allotment and
which don't, check the groups within those societies which exceed
their due allotment and which don't.

"Myth 3 - Too Many People. Reality: Birth rates are falling rapidly
worldwide as remaining regions of the Third World begin the
demographic transition -- when birth rates drop in response to an
earlier decline in death rates. Although rapid population growth
remains a serious concern in many countries, nowhere does population
density explain hunger. For every Bangladesh, a densely populated and
hungry country, we find a Nigeria, Brazil or Bolivia, where abundant
food resources coexist with hunger. Costa Rica, with only half of
Honduras' cropped acres per person, boasts a life expectancy -- one
indicator of nutrition -- 11 years longer than that of Honduras and
close to that of developed countries. Rapid population growth is not
the root cause of hunger. Like hunger itself, it results from
underlying inequities that deprive people, especially poor women, of
economic opportunity and security. Rapid population growth and hunger
are endemic to societies where land ownership, jobs, education,
health care, and old age security are beyond the reach of most
people. Those Third World societies with dramatically successful
early and rapid reductions of population growth rates -- China, Sri
Lanka, Colombia, Cuba and the Indian state of Kerala -- prove that
the lives of the poor, especially poor women, must improve before
they can choose to have fewer children."
http://www.foodfirst.org/pubs/backgrdrs/1998/s98v5n3.html
12 Myths About Hunger

There's a very large amount of evidence for that.

"A smaller increase in production would suffice if its growth were
accompanied by more equitable access to food. This could be achieved
through redistribution - of food itself, of the means of producing it
or of the purchasing power needed to buy it -- to those currently on
the lower rungs of the food access ladder." Unfortunately, the
experience of the past thirty years shows no significant decline in
inequity of access among households in most countries." -- FAO
http://www.fao.org/WAICENT/OIS/PRESS_NE/PRESSENG/2001/pren0169.htm

"Overpopulation" is a symptom, just as poverty and hunger are
symptoms, and the cause is an inequitable economic system. If
overpopulation were a reality it would indeed be an intractable
problem; if poverty and hunger existed, and increased as they do,
because there just wasn't enough to go round, that too would be an
intractable problem. But a dysfunctional economic system is not an
intractable problem.

That's why I said this:

> > >So instead of Manning's problem of agriculture, we
> > have instead the
> > >problem of power, rather more convincing, IMO.
> > >
> > >Huxley said only angels can handle power
> > responsibly but they're not
> > >interested in the job, or something like that. Most
> > people aren't.
> >
>=== message truncated ===

I don't believe that's an intractable problem either. It went on:

>>"It's said that 'power corrupts', but actually it's more true that
>>power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by
>>other things than power. When they do act, they think of it as
>>service, which has limits. The tyrant, though, seeks mastery, for
>>which he is insatiable, implacable." (David Brin)
>>
>>Humans are just fine, nearly all of them. Their institutions are
>>another matter. The story of history, the one vs the other. It's a
>>story of steady progress, with constant setbacks.

To go back to this:

>True perhaps, as far as sustainability and efficiency
>are concerned, small farms are the best solution.
>However, we have overpopulated this planet to such a
>degree that there would never be enough land to
>support our populations with only small, efficient
>farms.

Your logic defeats me. Would there then be enough land to support our
populations with only large, inefficient farms? I don't think you
meant to say "small, inefficient farms" - either way, the first
doesn't seem to make any sense, and the second's plain wrong: small
farms are indeed much more efficient and productive than large farms,
everywhere in the world, including the US. That is well documented.

Your reading of the message you're responding to seems strangely
patchy, if you even read it all. For instance, you miss one entire
half of the picture, that of pastoralism, which is not yet extinct
and counters just about everything you say. But maybe you just fitted
it to your views and skipped the bits that didn't fit.

You quote Robert:

>"So if people developed agriculture as a means to
>prevent starvation,
>and if the four major cereal crops contribute to the
>break down of soil
>fertility, it seems very ironic that the strategy used
>to ensure our
>survival and domination as a species could contribute
>to our downfall." robert luis rabello

But Robert wasn't attesting to that, he was doubting it. There's not
much of a case for the idea that people developed agriculture as a
means to prevent starvation, certainly not if they were
hunter-gatherers, the hunter-gatherer strategy is highly successful.
Agriculture arose in fertile river valleys, with no such factor as a
dry season to bring hunger and force long forays. There's no case for
the idea that the four major cereal crops necessarily contribute to
the breakdown of soil fertility - all the many successful traditional
agricultures developed sustainable systems of which cereals
production was (and is) an integral part: soil fertility was
maintained or improved and preserved for perpetuity. Many of these
techniques long predated the scientific "discoveries" of the 19th and
20th centuries. The disproof of this theory is so widespread that
it's hard to imagine where one might get such an idea, other than
from Lowdermilk, but Lowdermilk only looks at some of the failures of
the past and doesn't particularly blame them on cereals so much as on
poor technique. The famed Broadbalk trials at Rothamsted, though
somewhat flawed, succeeded in continuously producing wheat from the
same land without any inputs at all, no fertilizers, no rotations,
and, especially, no livestock. (Where they "cheated" was in bringing
in new seeds every year instead of using seeds from the previous
harvest.) Rice crops in the East can do the same, for a great deal
longer than Rothamsted's relatively brief existence. Of course the
other place to pick up the idea that cereals wreck the soil is the
massive failure of the present: industrial agriculture.

>This is the exact same scenario that struck
>former hunter-gathers in the ancient times.
>Agriculture and domestication began as a means to
>survive the dry times,

Both the San and the Australian Aboriginals are highly successful
hunter-gatherers, yet neither ever sees much of anything else but dry
times.

>So now we are living in one place, agriculture is
>booming, food is plentiful.  Clearly we have more time
>on our hands.  Arrives the metal age.  Agriculture

Hunter-gatherers generally have more leisure time than both
agricultural societies and modern city-dwellers.

>So now we are living in one place, agriculture is
>booming, food is plentiful.  Clearly we have more time
>on our hands.  Arrives the metal age.  Agriculture
>freed up time formerly spend hunting/gathering and
>allowed for certain individuals to take power.  Food
>was power, as Manning suggested.  Wealth was
>accumulated as food.  This accumulation was then able
>to be distributed in payment for labor.

You make the same mistake as Diamond/Manning - this fails to explain
how such a division of wealth could arise. They grow food, food
equals wealth and power... which suddenly some have and others don't.
Who are these "certain individuals" who were somehow able to take
power? How? The argument glibly gets turned back on itself: because
of evil agriculture. This is central to the whole construction, but
there's nothing there, and, with neither foundation nor skyhooks, the
whole edifice collapses. Maybe Diamond and Manning just didn't see
it, both seem to be working with rather a limited view of
agricultural history, and of agricultural practice around the world
through history, and indeed without much clue of how agriculture
works. But it was a major point in my message, and your response
simply ignores it.

>Now, thanks
>for accumulation of food wealth, those fortunate
>enough did not have to work constantly for their own
>survival, instead they had free time to think up other
>ideas.  This is how early technology began.  Without
>the need to focus on self-survival, invention was
>possible.  Metallurgy was invented, better methods for
>food storage and processing were invented, etc.

Um, how about all that hunter-gatherer leisure time?

>I feel like I'm rewriting Jared Diamond's, GUNS,
>GERMS, and STEEL.  Anyone familiar?  Guns, Germs, and
>Steel were the downfall of early civilization, and
>have continued to be same ever since agriculture
>began.

Agriculture was a Neolithic enterprise. Later Stone Age. Okay, never
mind the confusion, but I'm afraid it's a very simplistic and narrow
view of the rather various fates of early civilisations. I suggest
Toynbee, or perhaps go back to the beginning and Mr Wells, who'll
also give you a better grounding on the interesting transition from
paleolithic to neolithic.

Your conclusion:

>Clearly our civilization, old and new, had taken on a
>lifestyle directed solely in the direction of
>self-destruction.  Ironic, yes, but look around at the
>world we are living in.  Very true.

:-) Only in the eye of the beholder. It's a fashionable view in some
sectors of the rich, urbanised Western populations, also the ones
that like to see humanity as a kind of cancer of the biosphere. It's
nonsense, though, as with any nonsense, it's easy enough to select a
bunch of facts and arrange them as "proof". Just as you've tried to
do here. It's also a major cop-out - we humans are self-destructive
(and generally destructive), it's just the way we are, no sense in
trying to fight it or change anything... or in grasping the nettle
that maybe we ourselves need to live less wastefully, tread more
lightly upon the earth, find better, more sustainable, more
equitable, ways of doing things. Nor the other nettle, that we
continue our wasteful lifestyles at the huge expense of others who we
can't even be bothered to know about. Nor yet another nettle, that
the vast majority of humans are not self-destructive and do not live
destructive lives and have a very different view of things, but our
supine attitude and behaviour is helping to doom them anyway whether
they agree or not. These privileged folks always say "Just look
around at the world we're living in" to prove their point, but that's
just what they fail to do, other than through the lens of selfish
consumerist waste.

Diamond's views fit in easily with all this, as do Manning's, whose
views of agriculture are very similar to and perhaps derived from
Diamond's: "The worst mistake in the history of the human race". What
nonsense. Incomplete in both cases, large chunks missing. Wrench is
far better - clear-sighted and positive.

Best

Keith