Keith,

What you read was my first post here, I apologize for
my lack of tech-saavy-ness.  I was not familiar with
the > system, hence my confusion on the author.

Let me try to restate....with some questions, since
you guys are obviously more knowledgeable than I in
these topics.

What I meant was....perhaps small efficient farms are
the best solution to producing good food with the
least energy input, however, what about the world we
live in?  Small eficient farms would be great, and
perhaps only 1 acre is needed to feed a family of four
(for example, from another post), but what percentage
of the population owns 1 acre of usable land?  So, I
was saying this would be a great solution, if all
borders were erased, all cities destroyed, and we
started all over again with an empty earth and the
land was alloted 1 acre per every 4 person family.
But I live in southwest America.  I live in a city
were there are thousands of people crammed into a
small city, most of which is paved or housed, and the
remainder of which will grow nearly nothing, not even
weeds.  From here, what do we do? And perhaps this is
the case for most of the southwest, which millions of
people call home, but most of the land seems unfertile
in my eyes.

I understand that there is a Nigeria for every
Bangledesh, but those excess Bangledeshis will not
move to Nigeria in order to balance things out, so
what solutions do we have despite this?  As far as the
Bangeldeshis are concerned, THEIR world is
overpopulated to the extent that they cannot feed
their families sufficiently.

Brian

http://www.foodfirst.org/pubs/backgrdrs/1998/s98v5n3.html

http://www.fao.org/WAICENT/OIS/PRESS_NE/PRESSENG/2001/pren0169.htm

> [...]
> it's more true that
> >>power attracts the corruptible. The sane are
> usually attracted by
> >>other things than power. When they do act, they
> think of it as
> >>service, which has limits. The tyrant, though,
> seeks mastery, for
> >>which he is insatiable, implacable." (David Brin)
> >>
> >>Humans are just fine, nearly all of them. Their
> institutions are
> >>another matter. The story of history, the one vs
> the other. It's a
> >>story of steady progress, with constant setbacks.
>
> To go back to this:
>
> >True perhaps, as far as sustainability and
> efficiency
> >are concerned, small farms are the best solution.
> >However, we have overpopulated this planet to such
> >degree that there would never be enough land to
> >support our populations with only small, efficient
> >farms.
>
> Your logic defeats me. Would there then be enough
> land to support our
> populations with only large, inefficient farms? I
> don't think you
> meant to say "small, inefficient farms" - either
> way, the first
> doesn't seem to make any sense, and the second's
> plain wrong: small
> farms are indeed much more efficient and productive
> than large farms,
> everywhere in the world, including the US. That is
> well documented.
>
> Your reading of the message you're responding to
> seems strangely
> patchy, if you even read it all. For instance, you
> miss one entire
> half of the picture, that of pastoralism, which is
> not yet extinct
> and counters just about everything you say. But
> maybe you just fitted
> it to your views and skipped the bits that didn't
> fit.
>
> You quote Robert:
>
> >"So if people developed agriculture as a means to
> >prevent starvation,
> >and if the four major cereal crops contribute to
> the
> >break down of soil
> >fertility, it seems very ironic that the strategy
> used
> >to ensure our
> >survival and domination as a species could
> contribute
> >to our downfall." robert luis rabello
>
> But Robert wasn't attesting to that, he was doubting
> it. There's not
> much of a case for the idea that people developed
> agriculture as a
> means to prevent starvation, certainly not if they
> were
> hunter-gatherers, the hunter-gatherer strategy is
> highly successful.
> Agriculture arose in fertile river valleys, with no
> such factor as a
> dry season to bring hunger and force long forays.
> There's no case for
> the idea that the four major cereal crops
=== message truncated ===

http://mail.yahoo.com