-
   Dear Kieth and lowell.

 We have been growing algae of various types for a good number of
years starting with Spirulina as a food and then venturing into
algaes suitable for lipid production.. First we had to learn to grow
algae and came to the level of designing a closed loop system that
would allow the production of algaes under a broad range of climatic
and geographic  conditions ....in that, we succeeded... we have been
growing dunaliela and butyrococcus with success in our research pond
here at ecogenics center.. although we have been  producing ethanol
and methane for many many years and were well aware of the potential
of algae for the production of lipids (oils) for biodiesel. we had
not, untill very recently ,actually produced biodiesel.. we  have now
reached that goal with a fair amount of consistancy and are now
prepared to enter a  new phase in our development program... that
is.. the extraction of oil from our algaes and the consequent
production of biodiesel from the resulting oils. we are soon
embarking on a program of study involving extraction techniques and
after that will undertake the necessary steps to make biodiesel from
those oils.We are taking very cautious baby steps towards that
goal.financial constraints have made it prudent to  go slowly and
deliberatly in all our endeavours one look at our website and one can
see that we have touched  upon many areas of R&D over the years.we
expect that with some wise investment of time and money we will
successfully adress the extraction and production phase of the algae
to biodiesel program..we will of course keep you posted as to our
progress....in the meantime we are ready to produce biodiesel from
wvo...we have made the necessary modifications to our distillery so
we can do this...
    Marc...

-- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Lowell
>
> >A lot of lit on this subject during 1980s. Search on "NTIS" which
is U.S.
> >gov repository for gov funded research. The critters you want info
on are
> >called "Microalgae" not algae and they produce Lipids" which you
and I call
> >"oil". If you want info about getting the oil out of the
microalgae search
> >on the net for "Lipid Extraction". Most of NTIS research on this
is under
> >program called "Aquatic Species Program". Try to get 1987 and 1985
reports.
> >Each report cost me at least $30 to $60. Solar Energy Institute in
Golden
> [...]
> >Microalgae dated July 1984. If you get into this you will need to
buy quite
> >a few chemicals, some common like Epsom Salt, baking soda and some
pretty
> >exotic. If you want to look at "houses" for your critters search
on the net
> >for "photobioreactor" . Tried this once and failed. Also wife and
daughters
> >saw no humor in growing "pond scum" in the house. May try this one
day when
> >I get some space out of the house but am more interested in
finding cheap
> >sources of oil seeds. Hope this helps. Good luck.
>
> You're not the first to reach that conclusion. Previously a list
> member set up ponds and so on and was going ahead full-steam but we
> never heard any more about it. Another list member researched the
> subject, he had good technical resources, and concluded that it's a
> waste of time right now, it just isn't there yet, at least not at a
> doable small-scale level.
>
> Marc Carduso of Ecogenics has posted several upbeat messages on the
> subject in the last few weeks. He's talked of "Algae production for
> food fuel and fertiliser", "algaeculture technology for oil
> production and algae based " Living fuel cell" technology", and
> referred list members to his website for further information.
> www.dabney.com/ecogenics/
>
> I didn't find much information there, maybe I should have looked
> harder. I saw some photographs that looked to me like water
hyacinth
> and duckweed, nice for greywater/blackwater treatment systems. I
> guess there's something I'm missing. I'm not being sceptical, just
> need more info I think. What's not clear to me is whether Marc has
> actually succeeded in producing lipids from algae in usable form
and
> quantity. When last we heard Marc hadn't made any biodiesel yet but
> would be doing so soon. I don't know if Marc has made yet biodiesel
> from algae lipids. Can you tell us a bit more Marc?
>
> Meanwhile, personally I take your view Lowell, cheap sources of oil
> seeds are more interesting. There's huge and very largely
unexplored
> potential in oil-bearing plants, as well as in productive and
> efficient ways of producing them. For instance, a quick search of
> James Duke's Handbook of Energy Crops finds 62 legumes, both plants
> and trees, either of which can be fitted to the cropping and
growing
> patterns on integrated sutainable farms in a variety of ways,
perhaps
> as cover crops, interplanted or undersown, for forage or green
> manure, earning their keep independently of their oil potential,
> which would come as a bonus produced without the dedicated use of
of
> any land, or time and labour. Trees can be even more interesting.

We will not
> >>be
communications as a

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511