Hi Lyle,

What I am saying is that it is socially irresponsible to promote
biofuels without at least an equal effort to promote a SIGNIFICANT
reduction in consumption on the order of 1/5th the current amount,
BY ALL OF US.

For example, Jet Air Travel. I am amazed at the number of so-called
environmentalists that refuse to give up this particular bad habit.
Here we have an industry subsidized with over 18 times the amount
allowed for super efficient train travel.

Average BTU consumed Per Passenger mile by mode of travel:

SUV: 4,591
Air: 4,123
Bus: 3,729
Car: 3,672
Train: 2,138

Source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics
http://199.79.179.77/publications/nts/index.html

Another example, folks insist on racing from red light to red light
as fast as possible, and when on highways and freeways routinely
speed 20 to 30 mph above posted speed limits. The cops have given up
trying to enforce speed limits (a whole other rant) so the race is
on. Now everyone knows the faster one goes the more fuel is
consumed, yet bring up the idea of restoring the 55 MPH speed limit,
and enforcing existing speed limits, and watch the so-called
environmentalists scurry for cover like roaches when the lights come
on.

This one simple measure could reduce consumption, emmissions &
reliance on imported oil 20% to 50%! Visit the Drive 55 Conservation
website to read several reports and articles in support of this
claim: http://drive55.org/pn/index.php

So, all that said, and seeing as you "fundamentally agree" with
my "conservation message" - what commitments are you prepared to
make to reduce your personal consumption of energy?

I refuse to fly in jet airplanes now. I plan better and stick to
surface transportation.

When I drive my 78 300D, I obey speed limits, rarely exceeding 55
MPH. By staying in the right lane I have found this very easy as
that is the maximum for trucks here in California. Guess what,
McDonalds BRAGS about sticking to 55 MPH with stickers on their
trucks!

I have replaced every light bulb in my home with 13 watt
flourescents and installed dual pane windows among the ongoing
efforts.

I ride my bike whenever possible for most trips to the store, bank,
and other errands. I even take it on the light rail when I go
downtown.

When I shop I pay close attention to the source of the products I
buy, and always choose locally produced goods if possible.

I share this message with everyone I meet, along with the
information I have about cellulosic ethanol, biodiesel, and other
types of biofuel as a PART of the equation.

I will say this very plainly again now: It is socially irresponsible
to promote biofuels without AT LEAST an equal effort made to promote
conservation. The offense is compounded when someone claiming
concern for the environment refuses to acknowledge this in their own
life, and joins in the funding of petroleum warlords.

Peace,

Tim