Further to which...

The Horror In London
When we kill them in droves, some of them will strike back.
By Eric Margolis

We are horrified that anyone would attack innocent civilians packed in subway cars. But the extremists and fanatics who do so say they are exacting revenge for the 500,000 Iraqi civilians who died, (confirmed by the UN), from the ten year US-British embargo of Iraq. For the criminal destruction in 1991 of Iraq's water and sewage treatment plants that cause massive cholera and typhoid. Or for the occupation of Iraq and destruction of the city of Falluja that killed tens of thousands more civilians, and, of course, for Palestine.
http://snipurl.com/g7h1

The Logic of Suicide Terrorism
It's the occupation, not the fundamentalism
By Scott McConnell

Scott McConnell caught up with Associate Professor Robert Pape of the University of Chicago, whose book on suicide terrorism, Dying to Win, is beginning to receive wide notice. Pape has found that the most common American perceptions about who the terrorists are and what motivates them are off by a wide margin. - A conversation with the man who knows more about suicide terrorists than any other American.
http://snipurl.com/g7h2

It's Tim Brodie who's in denial about all this.

Tim can't see straight or think straight, there's something wrong with his mind. Todd uses the term "limbaughtomized", something similar maybe. Tim has led the list in this kind of crazed circular argument before, dancing round and round a crashingly obvious fact, anything rather than expose his cherished notions to the inimical forces of truth and reality. It has no integrity at all.

Tim quotes words like "unimpeachable", or "tolerance" or "love" in connection with terrorist acts that were never said here, he quotes arguments about Chomsky that just didn't happen that way. It's in the archives after all, but that doesn't stop Tim, he puts words into your mouth, and the whole list's, for very dubious reasons.

For a typical example, Todd said this to Jill:

You bitch about opposing view point and then go on to read a full page, chapter and verse, as to the opinions of your favorite, radical, right-wing, "so-ultra-'conservative'-as-to-have-long-since-fallen-off-the-edge-of- the-flat-Earth" talk show host yesterday. What's up with that?

Tim quoted that directly to me and then said: "I notice that he uses words like 'bitch' when in the context of corresponding with a woman, which in other circles would border on intimidation."

That doesn't make sense, "to bitch" means to complain, that's all, but "a bitch" is a whore or worse. In his next message Tim changed it to this: "What about Todd implying that Kim is a "bitch". So much for "universal rules of social discourse". He wouldn't have phrased it that way to her face (in a job situation, he'd be written up for intimidation)."

Try convincing Tim that Todd didn't call Kim a bitch, see how far you get. He KNOWS Todd called her a bitch. He KNOWS the bleeding-heart liberals on this list want appeasement, he has no difficulty contorting a discussion of real causes into an accusation of appeasement, as he did with Todd, as I said he'd do. You won't persuade Tim that we're not offering justifications for terrorism to support appeasement any more than you'll convince him Todd didn't call Kim a bitch.

Anyway, he posted a message saying I'm a liar. Before letting it through I asked him for a modicum of proof for this assertion, to which he responded that all journalists are liars, everyone knows that, just switch on the TV or open a magazine for proof of his point. No mention of what he'd said I'd lied about. So I'm a liar, Todd called Kim a bitch, and it's the terrorists' inferior cultural value systems that make them do it, it has nothing to do with US foreign policy or the hubris of empire. And we're all weak-minded fools.

Enough! It's hopeless trying to conduct a sane discussion on this basis, and on a mailing list it's a distraction and a distortion, it contributes nothing. We all have better things to do than waste our time on fruitless circular arguments with Tim Brodie. So much for the "universal rules of social discourse" indeed. Which happens to be a list rule, not often so abused. He was warned several times, to no avail. Goodbye Tim Brodie.

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
KYOTO Pref., Japan
http://journeytoforever.org/
Biofuel list owner

Hello Tim

<snip>

I finally figured it out, too improbable for me.

> Personally? Were I of Arab descent? I'd be mad as hell. And knowing
> how easily it is for humans to be impatient and act or react rather
> than wait for a slow, bureaucratic, greedy internatiionally intwined
> monster to even begin to deliberate what it might destroy or
> compromise with its next bite, it's not a far reach to understand
> where the underpinnings of all this originate from.

Ah, thanks Todd.  There's a good quote to answer Keith's question...

>>     There is nothing that can justify these  actions,
>
>     Who wants to justify them?

This sounds like a justification to me.  Is that a fair statement?

It's not me you're accusing of trying to justify it, it's Todd, via some sort of cognitive dissonance that's just as strange. As everyone else has been doing, he points to the causes you said we should be looking to fix, but it sounds like a justification to you and you talk of appeasing terrorists.

That's what I said you'd do in the first place:

Rather than raise a lynch mob it makes much more sense to find out just what happened and trace it back to its causes - who, what, where, when, why and how (a good reporter answers all those questions in the first 25 words). But where there's lots of blame-talk flying around raising such questions can get a person accused of attempting to justify the crime, being "soft on terrorists".

Which is why I asked you who wants to justify it - you'd already decided we did. I said this too:

You have these impressions of what goes on here, of what people here think and do, mostly a-priori impressions, just labels really. Then you do some misreading and end up with "facts" to corroborate your impressions. You've done it time and again, all very circular. And tiresome. It's the same with the archive link you can't find about your view of "justice", the same with your arguments about evolution. Always the same.

Case now rests on every count. You're being true to form Tim. This is the second time I've seen you coming right at the start, you're more transparent than you know, though I'm sure it all convinces you.

Sure you're entitled to your opinion, but are you entitled to this?

These are not actions, they're responses. If you can't see that it can only be because you don't want to. You're not looking at realities, you're looking at what you might be more comfortable with.

In such an issue, where people are getting killed all the time, truth is not to be sacrificed for the comforts of self-induced oblivion. But we should stand by and let you draw a veil over the loud and continuing worldwide chorus stating the totally obvious, that the root cause of all these evils is ongoing US foreign policy, you're entitled to that? I don't think so.

It's just more denialism, which is just another kind of lying. Nelson's blind eye may have saved England but when you use the same tecnique to try to absolve yourself and your society of responsibility it makes a really lousy excuse.

Let's have no more a-priori accusations of justification and appeasement, no more self-fulfilling prophecies such as that "tolerance" and "love" is our recipe for dealing with terrorists while we shy away from the causal links that you're shying away from with all this claptrap, no more prevarication. Huh, some hope.

Keith Addison