Hello Kurt, Brian

Wow, the Dark Ages are back! LOL!

Um. Look, I really don't want to put a damper on your enthusiasm so
I'll try not to but I'm in wonderment at the way you're going about
it. This just isn't what it's all about. I think you're missing the
point. At least one, IMNSHO.

You've got it all going your way, great information resources, and a
bunch of people here to discuss it with who've been doing it a long
time. But!

There was a recent thread here or maybe two with a bunch of messages
encouraging newbies having difficulty with the wash-test, saying how
they'd also struggled but got there in the end and they're glad they
persevered, they did it by removing the variables, checking their
techniques, improving their practices. That's quite a strong contrast
with this thread.

There are a lot of newbies here these days, by the way, much more
than usual, hundreds of them just one or two steps behind you and
watching how you're going about it, and what they're seeing from you
now is how to get away with being sloppy. Here we are, at the Biofuel
list, in the year Anno Domini 2005, after six years of this, being
sloppy.

When you follow a planned step-by-step course into learning how to do
something complex, in the early steps you'll probably be learning
more than you're aware of, if the course is up to much. Since it's
been developed in accordance with user-experience here it probably is
up to much.

Why make small one-litre test batches anyway? So that you don't risk
messing up right at the outset with a 150-litre first batch and end
up facing a barrel of intractable and discouraging glop, right?

It's much more difficult to make one-litre test batches than
150-litre batches. Kurt, do you think you're going to need the new
0.1 gram scale to measure the lye for a 55-gal reactor batch? Sure
you'll use it, but you won't need those tolerances. With a one-litre
batch it gives you a margin of error of 2.9%, kind of wide, but with
the bigger batch it would be accurate to within 0.01%, ridiculously
narrow, no need. The smaller the batch, the bigger the error, the
more accurate your measurements have to be.

A good reason to learn precise techniques doing small test batches,
starting simple and adding one variable at a time, with quality
checks not only of the fuel you make but of your procedures too, is
that no matter how experienced you get, you never quite know what
fiendishly cunning little challenges the next batch of WVO might be
holding in store for you. The quality checks and test-batches aren't
just for newbies, you do it with every batch. Many case-hardened
biodiesel brewers do "Poor man's titration" bracket tests and quality
checks with every batch, they've said so on the list. The more
accurate and precise your measurements are the more your tests will
tell you, and the less grief will fill your days.

"You have to get a 'feel' for it," they say. Like when you tie your
shoelaces, you just do it, you don't even have to look, your fingers
do it for you, it's easy. Actually it's a complicated series of
operations, tying your shoelaces, it wouldn't be so easy to program a
computer to do it. I don't think you get a good feel for it by trying
to take it by storm, deciding it's not going to kick *your* butt, so
you hurl volleys of random test batches at it and hit a wall of
emulsion. So in the end you buy accurate scales after all, like
everyone was telling you. But now you're advising Brian how not to
need one.

Now you've got the scales, but you also have the idea lodged in your
head that you can measure half a gram of lye by volume in a beaker
because you tried it and it "worked". If you go teaching your fingers
stuff like that you're going to find yourself tripping over your
shoelaces a lot.

You already are. You abandoned one-litre batches in favour of 300 ml
batches in the hopes of getting less moisture in the lye because you
think smaller measurements will take less time (76% humidity isn't so
much, it's higher than that here now). So you set yourself the task
of measuring even smaller quantities without an accurate scale. For a
300ml batch, 3.5g/litre of lye works out to 1.05 grams, and the
volume would be 0.495 ml. You're measuring 0.495 ml of lye in a
beaker? And it gave you some of your "best results". But I think with
these methods your best results are just as randomly chaotic as the
worst ones. But you get it right by bending the wash-test your way.
And then advise another newbie to do the same.

Brian, meanwhile, is starting in the wrong place and forgot he needs
to weigh something or other, and forgot he needed a blender to mix it
in too. Sheesh, Brain, how can you be so scatter-brained? Don't you
even make notes? You're not just boiling an egg you know.

Why aren't you starting with virgin oil? But you want to start with
WVO, why waste time, and you're going to titrate it. Only you don't
have scales and you're going to use old litmus paper from a soil test
kit. And the way you're going you'll pick your way unerringly through
this jungle of variables to a glorious result, right. Meanwhile
you're already moving on to better things, next stop the acid-base
method.

Sorry, chums, this ain't the way to do it, either not even for
beginners or especially not for beginners, take your choice.

Eg (closes eyes and chucks a dart)...

>I do recall that that ambient humidity messes with the methoxide
>mixing. Should I wait until the rain quits to continue with the
>experiment?

What difference does it make, if you've carefully measured out your
lye into plastic bags keeping it dry as advised and you're mixing
methoxide the easy way, as advised, in a closed HDPE container with
both a bung and a lid?

But if you've prepared zilch for your first attempt at making biod,
after talking about it here for months, well...!

Make your first test batch
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#biodnew

Keep going, step by step. Study everything on that page and the next
page and at the links in the text.

I suggest you make some print-outs Brian. But please no more sloppiness!!

Best wishes

Keith