> Is my thinking correct?:
>
> If the energy content of most biodiesals is between 35 and 40 Mj/kg (Terry
> 4/27)
>
> Lowest heat of combustion is canola methyl ester at 39.9 Mj/kg
> Highest is rape at 40.54 Mj/kg
> The rest are in between
> D2 is 45.42 Mj/kg
>
> and #2Diesal is 45 mj/kg then holding all other factors constant one
should
> get about a 10% lower performance than #2D.  This would mean that a liter
> of biodiesal is not equivalent to a liter of Petrodiesal, yah?

Mike,

That is, by and large correct. There is a slight horsepower reduction when
running biodiesel neat.

Some would jump on this factoid like a cat on a rat, screaming "I told you
so," and other mindless declarations that berate bio-d.

When they do this, they immediately neglect such minor details as enormously
cleaner air, greatly reduced carcinogenics in both emissions and manufacture
(read "reduced medical costs and human suffering"), fuel renewability,
enormously increased biodegradability, conservation of petroleum feedstock
for future generations, strengthening the economic outlook of family farms
and a herd of other side benefits.

My perspective is that such individuals have either not thought the equation
out fully or are highly selfish.

If they keep their britches on for a decade while this industry gets off the
ground, they will probably see biodiesel energy content increase, if through
nothing else hydrogenatiion. This process breaks down double bonds and adds
hydrogen to the mix, increasing energy value. A bit of an industrial
process, that.

Refer to ASTM standardization for data on cloudpoint, lubricity and coking.
No one has really done much on the latter.

Todd
Appal Energy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Biofuel at Journey to Forever: