I wonder if anyone has thought of producing a simple
steam conversion for Wankel rotor engines. All the
advantages of a turbine with none of the high RPM
headaches. Or maybe a simple low rpm low efficiency
steam piston engine with integral generator windings
like the picoturbine. It would seem to me that one
could injection mold one from high temp plastic and
use a Teflon cyl. liner thereby reducing the component
cost substantially. I also understand that plans for a
low tech steam engine built of PVC pipe once existed.
Does anyone have a lead on this?

Fluid bed reactors are basically a vertical tube with
a blower at the bottom. A bed of "sand" sits in the
tube atop a perforated plate which allows air to pass
through the sand but prevents the sand from falling
past. Between the blower and the plate is a preheater,
typically a gas jet, which is used to heat the sand to
the desired combustion temp. A fuel feed is built in
to the tube slightly above the perf. plate which is an
injector for liquids or an auger for solids.A
hydraulic ram might also be used to feed some solids.

 To convert to a boiler a second tube is attached to
the outside of the first and water is run through the
space between. A probe tube can also be added down the
"throat" of the unit made up of a pipe within a pipe
to increase BTU extraction.

Our bench test units used "shop vacs" as the blowers
and we used the water to measure BTUs produced by
various fuels.

This was the basic setup...and was very simple to
build...but of course there were other considerations
that needed attending to for long term operation.

In practice one would turn on the blower and light the
preheater (spark ignition). The blower suspends the
sand and creates a vigorous mixing in the medium while
the preheater warmed it up. Once the sand (fluid bed)
had reached the desired temperature sufficient to
initiate combustion of the specific fuel the injector
or auger was turned on and the preheater turned off at
which point the reaction became self sustaining. The
abrasive property of the sand reduced any carbon
particles to molecular size very rapidly.

This created a very efficient combustion of the fuel.
It also allowed us to add reactants to the fluid bed
to control potential pollutants. The variety of
materials we could combust was amazing and the ability
to control combustion byproducts in this simple manner
was a huge plus. At one point a large unit (several
story) was constructed to power a gas turbine and
produce electricity from sewage sludge and municipal
solid waste.

I have no doubt that even our bench test units could
power a 10 hp steam engine using the waste glycerin
component of biodiesel production. And the heat from
not only the spent steam but also the reactor exhaust
could be used in the production process with very
little attendant pollution.

Currently the cost of a steam powered generator is
much more than the cost of a diesel generator which
could be run on SVO and whose waste heat could be used
similarly. I would much prefer however to use waste
glycerin in an "external combustion engine" as the
efficiency would eventually pay off and the cost of
pollution of any internal combustion engine while hard
to quantify against the large volume of the atmosphere
exists. Yet another debt we will leave to our progeny.

I hope this helps.
Feel free to contact me if you would like more
information.

Dana Linscott

[EMAIL PROTECTED]