It would be really interesting to see how efficient you could make a cogen
system, run the exhaust through copper pipes in a large tank and preheat your
hot water with it. Have a bank of batteries and a 2kw generator that puts out
120v, to reduce inverter losses. Runs periodically to charge batteries and if
you have a larger load than normal.
Oh well, it's nice to think about, maybe when I get my own house..

--- steve spence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'll run some numbers by you. I use 1000 kWh's / month. Approximately 30
> kWh's / day. If averaged across 24 hours that's nearly a 1kw generator. my
> loads peak, so a 5kw generator would do the job better, but would have to
> work a lot, and have reduced life. So, what do I do? I can put a bigger
> generator in, and store the power in batteries. An inverter would provide
> the 120VAC that I need. I'm currently building a 20kw diesel (powered by
> vegetable oil) generator from a vw diesel engine, which will provide heat,
> hot water, and electric for my house. these engines are cheap to purchase,
> and cheap to rebuild. I hope to have 2, and be able to swap between them
> during maintenance and rebuilds. a wood boiler, wind generator, and solar
> panels will reduce the need to run the diesel.
>
> Steve Spence
> Subscribe to the Renewable Energy Newsletter:
> http://www.webconx.com/subscribe.htm
>
> Renewable Energy Pages - http://www.webconx.com
> Mirror Site http://www.webconx.dns2go.com/
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (212) 894-3704 x3154 - voicemail/fax
> We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
> we borrow it from our children.

=====
http://devzero.ath.cx/
Visit the Systems Information Database
Have some interesting information? Put it up on the SID.
-Martin Klingensmith

[EMAIL PROTECTED]