I have been running my farm house from a generator/battery setup for over a
year now and it is great but not with out its problems.

The average house energy efficient home will use between 6Kw and 10Kw per
day assuming your hot water is gas/solar and your cooking is gas.

The problem is with the batteries. A battery (deep cycle) can only be charge
up at 10% of its value without risking damage to them.

You must remember that the batteries take all the load and the generator
simply charges the batteries. The power to house is supplied through an
inverter.

If you use 10Kw/day then you can only put in 1Kw per hour into the
batteries, therefore at the quickest it would take 10 hours to replace what
you took out in that day.

Therefore if your generator is any bigger than 1kw then you are wasting
fuel.
A way to get around this problem is to have bigger batteries, so if your
generator is rated at 5kw then you need 50kw of batteries (very expensive).
but you would only need to run your generator for 2 hours a day.

Remember just because the fuel is free we shouldn't waste it.

Mani

Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
To unsubscribe, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]