ah,

I misunderstood you.

You can do that by using a <use /> element that points to the same geometry of
you
polyline without having to store the geometry twice.

Then you can just add a different stroke type to simulate your border effect.

As an example see http://www.svgopen.com/2002/papers/
isakowski_neumann__svg_for_interactive_topographic_maps/index.html

Section on "code optimization"

and this example:
http://www.svgopen.com/2002/papers/
isakowski_neumann__svg_for_interactive_topographic_maps/reuse_with_xlink.svg

If you want asymmetric lines, you can use masks. Dr. Olaf Hoffmann did examples
here:
http://olaf.kilu.de/hilfe.php?me=svg2&in=svginnenaussen&stil=a

here one of his animated example:
http://olaf.kilu.de/svgueb/klippklapp05.svg