Hi Scott,

>>> This whole area of SWORD (secs 6.4-6.6) is effectively doing the same job
>>> as CMIS. Is there a good reason for creating a new spec here?
>>>
>>> If these kinds of operations (remotely manipulating the content of virtual
>>> packages) are part of the core functions of SWORD, should it be a profile
>>> of CMIS rather than AtomPub?
>>
>> I've tried /quite/ hard to get to grips with CMIS without a huge amount of
>> success.  It seems extremely large and full of a lot of stuff which is way
>> way way over the top for what SWORD is trying to achieve, as far as I can
>> tell.
>
> It is indeed rather more complex than SWORD as it is handling content
> management rather than just deposit -->
>

>> Also, we tried in the business case/technical architecture document to
>> position SWORD firmly in the "deposit" space rather than the "content
>> management space" (which I may or may not have succeeded in doing).
>> Certainly I can see the case that enabling CRUD means that you are doing
>> some content management, so we're striving to keep the details of what we
>> say based entirely on the aspects of transferring data point to point rather
>> than mandating what happens to that data at either end (this is, for
>> example, part of the reticence to formally incorporate GData).
>

> -->   and so we really have to make sure the scope is correct. It has veered
> into CM with all these operations on the content of packages.

So, I think it's inevitable that there will be some operations which
could be considered content management by the very nature of allowing
CRUD.  But CMIS applies a domain model to the server end, which SWORD
doesn't do - I think this is a key distinction.

I'd be interested in your comments on the other email that I sent just
now about the scope of sword.

>> So, profiling CMIS seems like a massive undertaking and a large burden on
>> the implementers just to make sense of what they would or wouldn't have to
>> implement.  Could you comment on that, do you think?
>
> Actually I don't think profiling CMIS would be at all necessary. If SWORD is
> about deposit, and CMIS is about CM, then implementers can choose the specs
> they want to support based on the functionality they want to expose.
>
> So some implementations may just want to support deposit with some packaging
> format hints, while others may want to look at implementing CMIS (e.g. using
> CMIS libraries such as Apache Chemistry) - either instead of or as well as
> SWORD.
>
> At the moment there seems to be an assumption that a solution halfway between
> SWORD 1.x and CMIS is desirable.

I think that even half way to CMIS is a pretty long way .... :)

>> What does seem possible is that we could adopt terms from the CMIS namespace
>> to use in SWORD, rather than minting new terms.  I'm thinking, for example,
>> of cmis:createdBy being used instead of sword:depositedBy, although there's
>> some argument to be had over whether those two are really the same thing.
>> Could you possibly suggest some similarities in terms in CMIS that might be
>> appropriate for reuse in SWORD?
>
> See above ...
>

>> Also, do you know of any good introductions to CMIS that are bit more
>> penetrable than the specification that I could look at?
>
> Playing with the Apache Chemistry libs is probably more rewarding than
> reading the spec as you can see what its doing.
>
> http://chemistry.apache.org/

Thanks, that sent me off on a pretty useful direction.  For anyone else
interested in CMIS, I found this basic introduction pretty instructive:

http://www.oldschooltechie.com/blog/2009/11/23/introduction-cmis

Cheers,

Richard