Hi Ian,

On 18/03/11 09:11, Ian Stuart wrote:
> On 17/03/11 19:37, Richard Jones wrote:
>>> In this second, expanded, view there are three things one need to define
>>> within the discussion
>>>
>>> 1) What the singular Thing is: a (zip|xml|csv|xyz) file
>>> 2) What "standard" the manifest file is written to (METS, EPrintsXML,
>>> etc....)
>>> 3) What "standard" the metadata file is written to (DC, QDC, MODS,
>>> EPrintsXML, BibTek, etc...)
>>>
>>> Now, one could define a new identifier for each combination of manifest
>>> &  metadata, or one can describe them separately....
>>> One has great flexibility&  expandability, the other uses fewer header
>>> fields.
>>
>> I think at the moment we're going for a URI which describes the
>> combination. This is partly because /at the moment/ repositories tend to
>> support a finite set of Packages which consist of their favourite
>> metadata formats and their favourite structural manifests. So not all
>> possible permutations of structural and descriptive data is currently
>> likely. This may, of course, change.
>
> This is not a problem... we just need to be up-front about it.
>
> This mean, for example, that "METSDSpaceSIP" actually means "Zip file,
> with binary files included (subdirectories allowed). Manifest called
> 'mets.xml', which contains the meta-data in epcdx format."
>
> I'm happy with that..... but it does mean that this will spawn a LARGE
> number of distinct variations, each of which needs a unique IRI.
> (Again, not a problem: the package I develop for the OA-RJ broker has an
> IRI in my opendepot.org name-space)

Yup, that's exactly what it means.  Otherwise we're into media feature
sets, which we sort of discussed earlier on the list - seems way too
complicated for the moment.  I'm happy that people will mint IRIs for
the formats that they use regularly.

Cheers,

Richard