Hi Fabien,

Thank you for the complete and descriptive response; we really do
appreciate it. Just to give my take on why the Definitive Guide is so
good. Its for one of the reasons that you mentioned, that its easier
to find a description of the various aspects as the Practical guide
looks at symfony from the perspective of a single application. One of
the biggest reasons I like the Definitive Guide isn't because it was
100% definitive (so feel free to change the name if you like) but the
fact that it at the very least covers most of the symfony framework
even if it references to another source to get more complete
information. The Definitive Guide is something you can read from start
to finish. Its a great way to get "clued up" on what symfony's
capabilities are and not necessarily every implementation of the
framework. Its a far more general look at what makes symfony tick,
rather than the very application specific nature of the practical
guide, but also doesn't go too deep into implementation that people
feel a little lost, like the Advent calendar and API documentation can
be.

If I just read through the Definitive guide I'll understand in better
detail what the Advent calendar documentation is referring to, as well
as understand why a specific feature of the Practical Guide
application was coded a specific way, to all the way into
understanding the various interactions between the classes described
in the API docs better without having to guess as much. We in fact
still use the Definitive Guide to train new developers into the world
of symfony.

Thanks for taking the time to work on it and I will definitely look
into how I can contribute updating it further.

Gareth McCumskey
http://garethmccumskey.blogspot.com
twitter: @garethmcc