Rainer:

I agree backwards compatibility is a messy subject.  I think the proposal on
the table now is to do just <PRI> with the hope that this allows old receivers
to at least process message with appropriate severity/facility. Say long to a
different file.  For everything else, all bets are off.

My experience with Solaris/Linux receivers shows they would accept a message
with good PRI and then junk.  They just append their own timestamp. But I
agree, this won't guarantee backwards compatibility with any receiver because
receivers are not standard at this point. Achieving interop with something that
is not standard is a tough problem.

If people want old <PRI> in there, I am ok with that. But I agree with you,
let's not be naïve about what level of interop this would achieve. If that very
basic level is useful to people - fine.  But there is no grand goal of full
backwards compatibility here. We have to be clear about that in the charter.

To the specific issue... UTF-8 encoding of basic ASCII is the same 7-bit ASCII
code.  So, if new sender only sends a subset of characters allowed by RFC 3164
and encodes them as UTF-8, it will look exactly as old encoding.  So, I think
that part is backwards compatible for the subset of characters supported by old
receivers.

Thanks,
Anton.