> On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 09:36 +0100, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> > Anton:
>
> > So I wonder if it wouldn't be wiser to accept that CLR here
> and disallow
> > NUL. After all, I can not see a valid use case for it
> either... (in the
> > sample you provided it honestly believe the sender should
> not send a NUL
> > octet but a "\u0000" string).
> >

> \u0000 is a NUL octet at least in its canonical encoding.

OK, looks like I need to dig up the ASCII table. My fault I didn't do it
in the first place.

Anston's sample was

 ...MyApp pid123 MALFORMED_INPUT: Bad input received from client:
[aaa\u0000]

For simplicity, let me strip the rest and just look at that part

\u0000

I think the sender of the sample message should not encode it as

NUL (0x00)

but instead as

0x5c-0x75-0x30-0x30-0x30-0x30 (\-u-0-0-0-0)

Encoding it as NUL in an otherwise human-readable message makes no sense
to me.

I am questioning if there is any legitimate case where an actual NUL
needs to be part of MSG.

> UTF-8 allows
> the same character to be encoded in multiple ways, see a
> description on
> the encoding format:
>
> http://www1.tip.nl/~t876506/utf8tbl.html
>
> And I think it would be wise to require the canonical encoding to be
> used and treat all other encodings of the same characters as errors.
> this is a large can of worms, lot's of security problems arised from
> this issue. (see the IIS problems couple of years ago)

"Shortest possible form" thanksfully is already required in
syslog-protocol-15.

Rainer