Hi All

Darrell says that the US places little importance on juniors, and this
attitude is also reflected in his view that Lewis-Francis was wasting his
time at the WJC.

The view on this side of the Atlantic is diametrically opposite. In the UK
we place an enormous significance on junior competition and consider the
major junior championships to be very significant stepping stones in the
career of a young athlete. L-F's choice was entirely consistent with this
view and was almost universally approved and welcomed among supporters, who
felt that it was too early for him to run in the OG and that his progression
would be better served by competing against his peers. He will now have the
confidence which comes with winning a world title, which can only benefit
him. The hope is that he can develop into a great champion and then maintain
that career for years.

The benefits of this emphasis are clear. Every single one of the young
sprinters you see competing in a GB vest came through the junior ranks. In
fact, I doubt you will find a single UK international athlete under the age
of 30 who did not compete at international level as a junior. The success of
GB athletes at the European Junior Champs in recent years has been the
bedrock on which the careers of some of our best athletes have been built.

This enlightened approach contrasts with the almost total lack of support
for young athletes as recently as 15 years ago. Talented juniors went from
dominating their age group to be heavily beaten by older athletes as soon as
they turned 20, which leads to disillusionment and loss of confidence early
on. The junior programme and the under-23 competitions are designed to ease
this process and have been tremendously successful.

Strangely, this has been achieved without decimating the education of the
athletes, despite the fact that our school year starts in September and runs
through to July, with continuous assessment every bit as important as end of
year exams. In fact, the current crop of young athletes are notable for
their intelligence, articulacy and maturity. Perhaps where there is a
will....

The US has a strong high school and collegiate tradition which in many ways
replicates the benefits of junior international competition in Europe.
Bearing this in mind, I am very surprised by the contemptuous dismissal of
world junior titles by certain US list members. But perhaps I should not be
surprised. It's clear that those same list members consider the US to be an
extraordinary and unique case as regards every issue raised, from drugs to
popularity to behaviour to youngsters, with nothing to learn from the way
this global sport is successfully managed beyond the Atlantic and Pacific
coastlines.

Best wishes,

Justin

If you are not the addressee indicated in the message (or responsible
for the delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy
or deliver this message to anyone.

In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the
sender by reply Email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer
does not consent to Internet Email for messages of this kind.

relate to the official business of Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO Ltd or its
Group/Associated Companies shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by them.

Abbott Mead Vickers.BBDO Limited.
Registered in England.
Registered Number 1935786.
Registered Office 151 Marylebone Rd, London NW1 5QE.
Telephone 020 7616 3500.
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]