> At 04:28 PM 10/24/00 -0400, you wrote:
> >I must disagree with Conway's assertion that we have a good junior
program
> >and it is the NCAA and JUCO programs.  By the time they get to be 18
years
> >old it is way too late to really develop the sport.  Some sort of
widespread
> >programs need to start before age 10 so that kids are as exposed to
> >opportunities to "play" track as they are to baseball or soccer.
> >
> there is ...it is called the Hershey Program.

You're joking, right?  The Hershey program, the AAU juniors, the USATF
junior olympics are all tiny compared to the programs in football,
baseball,basketball,soccer and several others.  That doesn't mean they are
bad programs, just that they aren't accomplishing even 5% of the coverage
that we need.  Add to that the fact that all three groups in general believe
they don't need the other two and you have a recipe for a muddled set of
incomplete programs that cannot be called development.

- Ed Parrot