At 06:17 PM 10/24/00 -0400, you wrote:
>> At 04:28 PM 10/24/00 -0400, you wrote:
>> >I must disagree with Conway's assertion that we have a good junior
>program
>> >and it is the NCAA and JUCO programs.  By the time they get to be 18
>years
>> >old it is way too late to really develop the sport.  Some sort of
>widespread
>> >programs need to start before age 10 so that kids are as exposed to
>> >opportunities to "play" track as they are to baseball or soccer.
>> >
>> there is ...it is called the Hershey Program.
>
>You're joking, right?  The Hershey program, the AAU juniors, the USATF
>junior olympics are all tiny compared to the programs in football,
>baseball,basketball,soccer and several others.  That doesn't mean they are
>bad programs, just that they aren't accomplishing even 5% of the coverage
>that we need.  Add to that the fact that all three groups in general believe
>they don't need the other two and you have a recipe for a muddled set of
>incomplete programs that cannot be called development.

Not joking at all. They are good programs. But, as with all good ideas, the
clubs and the schools have to pick them up. If assume that south of the
border is similar to north of it. Many of the good, and great, coachs don't
want to be seen working with young kids. It is below them. But everyone
needs to develop a grass roots progam and it takes good coaches to work with
this very importent age-group. If they did, probably similar to up here,
they would accomplish much more than the 5%.
Just my 2 cents

Peter Stuart
Head Coach South-East Athletics
Head Coach NB Canada Games