Hi Andrew,

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 21:29, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harv...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
> Are you moving to the fosm db? If so, great! Less problems with trying to
> merge your data into fosm, and we can all get back to mapping. Do you have
> any concerns over the switch?

I have concerns.  The FAQ here gives valid reasons to fork an open
source project:
http://fossfaq.com/questions/52/what-does-it-mean-to-fork-an-open-source-project
and the multiple forks of OSM may have ignored the advice to only fork
"When you have exhausted all other options."
Forks are not a guaranteed success.  They may have good reasons,
ideals and differing opinions, but the parent project has a brand, and
for OSM it's a powerful one.
As an example everyone has heard of MySQL, but what about Maria?
Mysql - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysql#Forks_of_MySQL

Personally I don't care about the licence.  I feel that the forks and
this resulting dilution of effort will become a drain on all the
projects (united we stand/divided etc etc), and have become a shouting
match where the 'political' goals of the forked projects are trumpeted
over the stated reason for the thing being there - an open map.  Cries
of "We're more open" don't help when you
can't rustle up the hosting fees or development volunteers.  So a fork
must become popular.  More popular than other forks or the parent
project.  Was this the real reason for your post with mention of FOSM
(and no other OSM spin-offs), and seeding "fear uncertainty and doubt"
regarding *possible* data deletion.. you were recruiting?

I'd like to think all this rather dull licence bickering will play out
and OSM will continue and strengthen.  It's sad that people with
agendas are talking up the 'possible' deletion of data, and rushing
off to fork.  That energy could have been used towards working on ways
of keeping or replacing the data in OSM.  A satisfactory local example
where things turned out well is where Nearmap made it's generous offer
to allow pre-existing data to remain under the new licence.  However
on this list there was little rejoicing, there was a lot of picking
over the actual wording of their offer; looking at the legal-eze,
hairsplitting terminology or imagined loopholes in order to justify
the fork projects existence.

Have fun. Cheers,
Chas