----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Fairhurst" <rich...@systemed.net>
To: <talk-au@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 2:00 PM
Subject: Re: [talk-au] Going separate ways

David Groom wrote:
Are you sure?  ODbL defines '"Collective Database" Means this Database
in unmodified form as part of a collection of independent
databases ......'. Therefore if you "cut out" Australia it cant be part
of a collective database, because it is not the whole database in an
unmodified form.

I am sure, yes.

You would be making planet-combined.osm out of two databases:
osm-without-australia.osm (ODbL) and fosm-australia-only.osm (CC-BY-SA).

As it happens, osm-without-australia.osm is a Derivative Database of
planet.osm, and fosm-australia-only.osm is a Derivative Work of planet.fosm.
But that's immaterial - planet.osm is probably a Derivative of some other
databases, too. It being a Derivative doesn't restrict your rights under
ODbL. Once you have the Derivative Database, you are free to use it under
the full provisions of ODbL, and that includes doing whatever you like with
an "unmodified" version of it.

Which seems to me to that you are agreeing with my point, that these are derivative databases, not collective databases as you first argued.

Regards

David

cheers
Richard