----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Fairhurst" <rich...@systemed.net>
To: <talk-au@openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 5:19 PM
Subject: Re: [talk-au] Going separate ways

David Groom wrote:
But as I said earlier, the ODbL seems quite clear that you cant make
a "Collective Database" from anything other than the original
database in unmodified form.  Since neither of the two individual
items are the original database in unmodified form

Yes, they are.

This is a general principle of any open content licence: a Derivative always
enjoys the same freedoms as the works from which it was made.

I don't think we need to concern ourselves too much with "general principles", lets stick with the actual ODbL. Although I suppose if you start from the position of what the general principles are it might be easier to read into the ODbL things which are not there.

ODbL makes
this absolute in 4.8: "Each time You communicate [a] Derivative Database,
[...] the Licensor offers to the recipient a license to the Database on the
same terms and conditions as this License." Your reading would break this.

Well for a start 4.8 only comes into play when you communicate a derivative database, whereas the definitions are always in force. So assuming I did not communicate the derivative database then surely I would have to look at what the definitions say rather than clause 4.8 which is not relevant?

Irrespective of the point above, my reading of the terms would not break clause 4.8. The derivative database would be offered under ODbL, and you would still have to comply with all the requirements of the ODbL which relate to derivative databases. What is broken?

Rather, "in unmodified form" in this instance is clarifying "independent".

Exactly how to you come to the conclusion that "unmodified" does not mean "unmodified" , but means "independent"?

Regards

David

That is, you cannot make non-ODbL-licensable changes in order to mix the
ODbL- and non-ODbL-licensed parts of the collective.

This is why you cannot take ODbL-France and CC-Germany and link them. This
would require modifying the ODbL data _outwith_ what ODbL permits you to do. "In unmodified form" is making it clear that you can't do that: you have no
additional permissions to modify the ODbL-licensed part of the database
(which is, after all, all ODbL is concerned about) for the purpose of
forming a Collective Database. But in the Australia case, you are not
modifying the ODbL-licensed part of the database. Every item in the database
remains 100% ODbL-licensed.

cheers
Richard