From: stevea <stevea...@softworkers.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 2, 2023 3:05 PM
To: Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>; Kim Oldfield via Talk-au
<talk-au@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [talk-au] OSM - NSW NPWS liaison

My two cents.

Our forum and Discord require "accounts" to be registered at the OSM level
(via OAuth2 by registering for a volunteer Contributor account to OSM) and
at "the Discord level," something else again.  A mailing list "merely"
requires an email address as an "account" to be registered with the talk-au
mailing list, which could be argued (I begin, but offer nothing more than
this assertion) that this is an "easier" (for "easiest" I add a ?) or at
least "lower bar" and maybe "preferentially more anonymous" or "less privacy
invasive" method, for those reasons.

Registering on talk-au doesn't require agreeing to what we agree to to
become Contributors, "merely" to join a "talking community" about "things
Australia regarding OSM."  By providing an email address and registering
with a mailman account, that's both "low-bar" and "fairly sharply focused"
at the same time.

A great benefit are many relevant eyeballs who read the "contact us
questions" which seem to have arisen.

While I'm not, I could imaging myself as an IT person at a National P&WS and
reading the analysis above, nodding my head, agreeing that it isn't a very
high bar to jump over to have a chat.  And then, having a chat.

> On Nov 1, 2023, at 8:52 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> DWG have received a
> "Request for a Liaison Officer:
> To enhance the accuracy of OpenStreetMap data pertaining to the NSW
National Parks and Wildlife Service"

> This has come up in regard to tracks that they say they have previously
requested be deleted (I'm contacting them to confirm just which?)