Hi Ian,
   I fully concur with your suggestion. I was in the Wombat State Forest
and found the map didn't necessarily match the ground truth, possibly due
to abutting landowners being geographically challenged when adding fencing
so it would be great if state forests could be simplified so it is easier
to see when the track finishes at a brand new fence!

Ewen

On Sun, 7 Jan 2024 at 11:52, Little Maps <mapslit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all, landuse=forest is widely used to denote State Forests in OSM, due
> to legislated landuse of timber harvesting. However, from 1 Jan this year,
> timber harvesting is now banned in all native forests in Victoria, so the
> problematic landuse=forest tag is no longer appropriate.
>
> I’m seeking feedback on the most appropriate tag to use now. Down the
> track, individual decisions will be made on conservation / recreation /
> Indigenous management priorities in each reserve. In the interim, are there
> any objections to replacing landuse=forest with the following tags…
>
> boundary=protected_area
> leisure=nature_reserve
>
> plus name tags etc, and mapping separate natural=wood etc boundaries as
> needed. Among other advantages, getting rid of landuse=forest will make
> vegetation mapping a lot simpler in State Forests in Vic.  Cheers Ian

Warm Regards

Ewen Hill