On 17/01/2011 23:05, Chris Moss wrote:
I'm interested in the GB waterways and it seems there's quite a bit of
work done but it's totally invisible. Is anyone working on a layer like
the cycle map, which leaps out from the overlays as the only minority
interest yet developed?

It's not the only layer I'd like to see. What about walking paths,
railways, contours,  points of interest, postcode areas, administrative
boundaries, constituencies, bus routes, etc., etc.

Quite a few of those are already available. Have a look at this page which lists loads of different things: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/List_of_OSM_based_Services

Specifically, there's a few different maps for walking paths (with contours etc). eg Freemap is a UK based one: http://www.free-map.org.uk/
Or Hike & Bike map: http://hikebikemap.de/
For bus routes (and railway lines etc) there's Öpnvkarte (aka OpenBusMap): http://öpnvkarte.de/ For UK postcodes, there is a map here (though the server seems to be down right now): http://random.dev.openstreetmap.org/postcodes/

Though I've not seen an online map specifically for waterways. There is a Garmin format map of UK canals, though I've never tried it, and it doesn't seem to have been updated recently: http://www.mapomatic.net/garmin-maps-download/

Shouldn't maps allow you to concentrate on whatever you're interested
in? Can someone please explain to me how or if this can be done with
openstreetmap?

Yes, you can use the OSM data to create a map of whatever you like. For how to, you can start with this page: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Rendering Some of the software can be a bit complicated to setup, the easiest option is probably Maperitive.

Or if you just want to add simple icons as a layer on top of a standard OSM map, you could use OpenLayers. Some examples here to start with: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenLayers

Craig