On 5 May 2011 10:45, monxton <gm...@jordan-maynard.org> wrote:

> On 04/05/2011 15:57, Peter Miller wrote:
>
>  Here is a global map view showing highway=footway in blue and
>> highway=path in brown.
>> http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/ito_map/main?view=97
>>
>> There is indeed something like an 80/20 split in the UK with noticeable
>> enthusiasm for 'path' in some parts of the country and a noticable
>> preference for its use in the countryside over the town. In Germany the
>> preference is stronger.
>>
>> This map will remain viewable but will not appear in the pull-down list
>> of standard views so do please bookmark it if you want to come back to it.
>>

> To me, the most significant thing about that map is that it demonstrates
> how vast swathes of the UK have almost no footpath data at all.

Beware that the map view above is only a comparison between 'footway' and
'path', it does not show anything for bridleway, track, cycleway or
unsurfaced.

You may wish find the 'surfaces' view more useful for getting a general
insight into path density around the UK and elsewhere. This view does in
fact mirror the patchy nature of path data in the UK.
http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/ito_map/main?view=25

Do let me know if you would like us to create any additional views.

Regards,

Peter