On 5 May 2011 15:49, Robert Whittaker (OSM)
<robert.whittaker+...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Peter Miller <peter.mil...@itoworld.com> wrote:
> > You may wish find the 'surfaces' view more useful for getting a general
> > insight into path density around the UK and elsewhere. This view does in
> > fact mirror the patchy nature of path data in the UK.
> > http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/ito_map/main?view=25
> >
> > Do let me know if you would like us to create any additional views.
>
> I don't know about others, but I'd find a view of "designation" tags
> for Public Rights of Way in England and Wales very useful.
>
> This would highlight ways with the four designation=* values for the
> public rights of way listed at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:designation (namely:
> public_footpath, public_bridleway, restricted_byway, and
> byway_open_to_all_traffic) and give the grey "unknown" colour to any
> ways which have a different designation=* value. (It's probably too
> difficult to work out a set of ways that you would expect to have
> designation tags -- there are too many paths around that aren't public
> rights of way.)
>
> (If you want the highlight colours to match the usual colours of the
> signs used for the different rights of way, you'd use yellow for
> public_footpath, blue for public_bridleway, purple for
> restricted_byway, and red for byway_open_to_all_traffic.)

Thanks for the suggestion. Take a look at this one which I hope does roughly
what you have asked for with the exception that I have coloured 'other
designations' with a off-yellow (as used for unrecognised values in other
map views) and I have added grey for paths with no designation. Grey paths
include highway=path, footway, bridleway, cycleway and byway. There is a key
this time.
http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/ito_map/main?view=87

 Happy to tweek it when people have taken a look.

Regards,

Peter