On Wed, 2016-12-21 at 10:39 +0000, Paul Berry wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> As you probably know, local authorities must keep available an up-to-
> date copy of rights of way for inspection. Can this information then
> be incorporated into OSM, having been witnessed, or is it a case of
> public but copyrighted? I'm currently nursing a complaint about a
> rural right of way blockage (without a stopping-up order) in my area
> and have had the need to get very familiar with my local footpaths...

In most cases it cannot be simply incorporated into OSM. The definitive
maps were drawn onto OS maps, and all I have seen are overlayed onto OS
maps with the words Crown Copyright.

You should not copy from these maps, but they are useful to get an idea
of what is missing and can then be surveyed.

Another reason not to copy is that they are not 100% accurate and we
should map what is on the ground. The maps were originally drawn by
parish councils, and not always accurately. For example here in
Shropshire a path is shown passing through a house, built on a right of
way? No, the house was built in the 1500s, and the pen must have
slipped.

The other advantage of surveying is that we can map the barriers, this
is when OSM can beat OS as a walking map. When you survey the paths,
please map the stiles, kissing_gates, gates etc. That is important
information for many walkers.

Phil (trigpoint)