On 21/12/16 11:32, Dave F wrote:
Interesting. Under what license to you believe East Riding issued the
data that ROWmaps is using?

Assuming it was taken from: <http://walkingtheriding.eastriding.gov.uk/find-walks/interactive-map/> for which the copyright details are on <http://www2.eastriding.gov.uk/council/governance-and-spending/protecting-your-personal-information/copyright-statement/>

I would say that the overlay is copyright the council with no licence grant other than the implied ones to allow viewing via a web browsers.

There are two alternative OS licences, and it is not clear which one relates to the background, but in the absence of a specific ODL permission on the background, I would say the restrictive licence applies. OSM requires permission to copy, permission for derivative works, and permission for commercial use, none of which are given.

There is no discussion that the overlay may itself be a derivative of OS data, but the lack of a licence from the council means that should be a non-issue for end users, who simply cannot copy it. If it is based on details like hedgerows, it will be derived from data under hte more restrictive licence.