The real problem is that we have two linguistic traditions: one is plain
langauge, and one is tagging tokens.  People keep blurring them, and of
course this is going to continue.  We end up with having to explain
"Just becuase it says 'Foo Park' doesn't mean it's a park."  If we had

#define LEISURE_PARK    0x451

and we were talking about if something were a LEISURE_PARK then it would
be clearer about plain language vs tagging tokens.

OSM Volunteer stevea <stevea...@softworkers.com> writes:

> So, what emerges is that going forward, leisure=park is as our wiki
> describes it (a smaller, urban-scale, human-sculpted place for
> leisure/recreation), EVEN THOUGH many areas which aren't this are now
> tagged this way.

I think that's a correct assessment.  Except that we have to be careful
about "recreation" -- a place that is largely soccer and baseball fields
is recreation_ground.  If you mean walking around, then agreed.

In Massachusetts, I'd say an interesting data point in distinguishing
"park" vs "nature_reserve" is that in a park you are not that likely to
pick up ticks (ixodes scapularis), and in a nature_reserve it is very
likely.  But that's just a proxy for "sculpted" vs "natural".

> Going forward, NEW "parks" (in the USA) get this tag only as it is
> meant/now wiki-described, as we use the Existing 4 more properly.  In
> other words, it is correct to use the Existing 4 INSTEAD of solely
> leisure=park when appropriate.  Simultaneously, it is inevitable that
> many now-tagged-leisure=parks will have that tag changed to one of the
> other Existing 4.  Yes?

I don't really follow "going forward" and "inevitable".  If you mean:

  We the mailinglist more or less agree, to the extent we ever do, that
  things that don't meet definition above  should not be leisure=park,
  and we should tag those things appropriately, both for new objects,
  and people fixing old objects.

then that sounds right.

Another question is: If we didn't have the special national_park tag,
how would they be tagged?  I would say that most would be
leisure=nature_reserve overall, with perhaps some small segments as
leisure=park, and then a few messy cases (Dry Tortugas, maybe Mesa
Verde).  I don't seriously expect us to get rid of the national_park
tag, so that's a moot point.