On 29/04/2019 17:04, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:

29 Apr 2019, 17:36 by kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com:

    On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 11:24 AM Mateusz Konieczny
    <matkoni...@tutanota.com <mailto:matkoni...@tutanota.com>> wrote:

        Why not simply call anything which is a 'large public area for
        recreation', a park, and specify it additionally with
        additional tags?

        That would require redefining leisure=park and while would
        match use of word "park" in USA
        it would start mismatching use of work "park" in UK. It would
        also start to mismatch how
        leisure=park is used in Europe.

        Generally British English is preferred in OSM and redefining
        popular tags is deeply problematic.

    Are we talking about the use of the *tag*, or the use of the *word* in
    British English?

It is supposed to be about both, I attempted to check both but I open to discovering that I am mistaken. In case of British English I attempted to consult with people who are native speakers of BE and people better in English than myself but maybe my questions/examples failed to capture
cases of what should be described park (and or leisure=park).

I know that it is possible, that is part of the reason why I posted quoted message (it would be embarassing to discover that my claims were wrong but I prefer to discover as soon as possible).

With regard to British English usage, I think you're correct*. Something described here as a "park" would pretty much match the current description at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dpark (without the urban requirement, but you've already talked about that).  In the UK a "national park" (or something like the Pentland Hills Regional Park which was already mentioned) isn't really a subset of "park" in any way - it's something else altogether.

National Parks such as Yellowstone were established in the US many years ago as pretty much their own thing - they're almost nothing like parks such as Derby Arboretum (arguably the first public park in Britain).  In concept Britain's "National Parks" owe more to the American National Parks than they do to earlier local parks.  There are significant differences in how they are managed and run, but the model was borrowed from the US.  The fact that the "Peak District National Park" has the word "park" in it does not make it a "park" in the normally understood sense.

Turning to things in the US, there's no way that I'd describe https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3003169/history ("Joseph D Grant County Park") as "more like" Derby Arboretum / Golden Gate Park than the Peak District National Park in England or Yosemite. Sure, it's a sliding scale, with most bits of Joseph D Grant significantly "less wild" than Yosemite, but my impression of it after having been there is "not really a park in the British English sense".

Obviously different communities worldwide stretch OSM tags to match local differences and important local distinctions that may not exist in the British English tag definitions (for example, apparently German gravel has a different name depending on whether it's sharp or rounded), and it's up to the US community to decide how to tag things in the US, but I'd suggest that substantially broadening the usage of a tag that means something else everywhere else is not the best approach.

Best Regards,

Andy

* for the benefit of anyone who may not know, I'm a native English (British) English speaker.