oops, meant to send this to the list...

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.ke...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 2:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Parks in the USA, leisure=park, park:type
To: Mateusz Konieczny <matkoni...@tutanota.com>

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 12:06 PM Mateusz Konieczny
<matkoni...@tutanota.com> wrote:
> It is supposed to be about both, I attempted to check both but I open to
> discovering that I am mistaken.
> In case of British English I attempted to consult with people who are native
> speakers of BE
> and people better in English than myself but maybe my questions/examples
> failed to capture
> cases of what should be described park (and or leisure=park).

The earliest use of the word 'park' in English is attested to in the
13th Century - in which it means 'enclosed preserve for hunting.' The
great estates would maintain 'parks' that they would stock with beasts
of the chase.

The use of 'park' in its urban meaning entered the language some four
hundred years later, as London was being rebuilt after the Great
Plague and the Great Fire.  It began to sprawl, and tracts of land
were reserved to be kept in a quasi-natural state, or at least
protected from urban development, for public recreation. The name
extended in this way partly because the laws that had established
royal hunting preserves were repurposed to protect land in this way.
Civic pride made these parks highly sculpted, displaying an idealized
landscape, hence the urban use of the word 'park.'

'Park' in the sense of 'baseball park' - a sporting field - is an
Americanism dating to the 1860's.

'Car park' came from the fact that people visiting cities would use
the public parks as a place to leave their carriages, and later their
automobiles, and so 'parking' was born.

'Industrial park' and so on are 20th-century innovations, I suspect
from the advertising agencies and real estate agents.

> Neither of them is tagged leisure=park and it seems that
> "national park" is in some way similar to "business park" or "industrial park"
> - word park is in the name but it is not considered as a special case
> of "green human-sculpted landscape" that is commonly referred to as
> a "park".

'Park' in the sense of 'preserved natural land' (originally for
hunting, but the sense broadened as natural areas were preserved for
other purposes) and 'park' in the sense of 'sculpted, idealized
landscape' march hand in hand through the last 350 years or so, and
'preserved natural land' is the earlier sense of the word.

> This one is not surprising to me, it is probably result of compromise/conflict
> resulting in potected area with some objects that are contrary to any
> nature protection attempts.
> Poland has cases of legal large-scale active logging in Tatra mountains
> that is result of conflict between local people and desire to protect nature.
>
> See
> https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wsp%C3%B3lnota_Le%C5%9Bna_Uprawnionych_O%C5%9Bmiu_Wsi
> - conflict dates back to creation of the TatrzaƄski Park Narodowy (=Tatra
> National Park).
>
> See also motorways going sometimes through protected or "protected" areas.

One reason that the boundary lines in New York's big parks are such a
mess is that transportation and utility corridors, well fields,
cemeteries, and similar land uses are officially cut out of the
protected areas.
Much logging happens in the areas of lesser protection. They are
protected from development - the land owners can't build on them, or
are restricted to extremely low-density development - but sustainable
logging practices are permitted on many of the inholdings. In many
cases the timber companies also have easements against them requiring
public access when active logging is not in progress.