On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 8:15 PM Joseph Eisenberg
<joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can just overlap them. Don't worry too much about how OpenStreetMap carto
> renders it, as long as they way you map it makes sense and matches reality.
> Perhaps we can fix the rendering if the current results are causing
> confusion, so that the trees only show when the green background shows.

Like Steve, I tend to overlap land use and land cover - which are two
distinct things.

I use 'landuse=forest' for 'the land is dedicated to the production of
forest products'.  Around here, such lands often, perhaps even
usually, have a secondary purpose of public recreation. This is true
even of privately-held ones; there are significant access easements,
for instance, to the forests owned in the Adirondacks by the paper
companies. I've certainly hiked on land owned by Finch Pruyn (when it
was still a going concern) and International Paper.  I use
'natural=wood' for 'this land is tree covered', and don't follow the
convention that some mappers do that it must be in some sense a
'natural' wood, and 'unmanaged', whatever that means. (In my part of
the world, the wilderness areas are among the most intensively managed
land in the country - to protect them!)

The strict taxonomists object to my use of 'landuse=forest' to denote
the land use - and want to require trees on every square metre. But
that's not the way a working forest works. In any given year, a given
piece of acreage may be grassland, scrub, marsh, open water, alder
thicket, or mature trees, depending on how long it's been since
harvest and what the beavers have been up to that year.  Despite the
awkward rendering, I do not cut the water and wetlands out of a forest
like https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6378266 - because the
whole thing is working forest, and the beaver activity changes, so
those ponds and marshes are actually less permanent than the use to
which the humans put the land.

'natural=wood' may overlay atop different land uses.  The grounds of
the mansion at https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/148531875 are largely
forested, and have a 'natural=wood' polygon overlaid, which also
extends over some of the adjoining protected_areas. (The mansion
grounds are not hard to trace in the field, since the NO TRESPASSING
posters can be spotted from the trails on all four sides.)  The
industrial areas like https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/479164244 and
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7464551 are also partly wooded
- largely because in this part of the world, vacant land grows to
trees.  On other industrial sites, the gaps between buildings may be
grass, or bare dirt, or scrub land, or rubbish heaps, but here it
becomes either woodland or wetland.

I don't map orchards or forests as 'farmland'.  I don't mind layering
farm buiildings, residences, or greenhouses on top of 'farmland', and
don't make cutouts for them, but the renderers are happier with me if
I call orchards and forests separate things.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin